Recall - Facelift FR TDI

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
Just a heads up for anyone with a facelift FR TDI

I had a call from SG Petch in Durham today saying that there was a recall out for my car and I needed to arrange to take it in for the ECU to have new software applied. They didn't have any specific details on what is was correcting/fixing just that SEAT have issued the recall :shrug:

It's going in on Friday for the work to be done which I'm told should only take 30-40 minutes

Has anyone else been contacted by their dealer?

Poverty

30-40 mins just to flash a update. Wonder if they are gonna dumb down the performance a little.

penfold uk

I haven't heard anything yet from my dealer. See if they phone tomorrow. Or I might give them a ring. I wont be able to settle till I know.

UltraViolet

I've not heard anything but I only collected last week so wonder if mine will already have been done if this is happening?

Leonidas

They also say on there website
Think of it as a Golf GTi for the poor. The sort of poor people who don’t really care about handling

WAAAT [:@]:thumbd::no: Im so poor that I wont be buyin one of the magazines again :ban:

UltraViolet

lol - take it with a huge pinch of salt. I drove both the Golf and the Leon. The Golf works out cheaper (running costs and depreciation), but the better drive of the Leon (bearing in mind that handling is far more important to me than outright speed) sold it to me.
As for poor...... I have several cars and although I don't think of myself as loaded, I'm def not poor.

Leonidas

Ya further down the page it comments about the handling of the FR v the Cupra

One-nil to the FR, here. For all the Cupra’s power, onboard interference seems to neuter the dynamic package, whereas the FR is blessed with huge amounts of grip, and takes on corners without a hint of understeer.

:no::banghead:

wjohnson

Dec 17, 2008
Yeh I read that bit about the FR handling over the Cupra and even though I thought Ok well I bought an FR so thats great I thought, What a load of Bleep! Makes me wonder who writes these terrible articles for these magazines. Makes me even wonder if they have even driven the cars they talk about tbh. :confused:

kezFR07

now with ko4 power
Jun 15, 2008
yorkshire
Top gear are ******s, infact every car mag are the same seats never get a mention and to be honest it's one of the best hot hatches. As for being poor, what planet do they live on 20k is a fortune in my eyes and alot of other peoples. Do they think everyone in the country is on 40k plus the mugs I'd have a leon than a golf anyday their so boring

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
Not according to Top Gear magazine, they have road tested it in the new issue and have slated it.

I had a look at Top Gear magazine at lunchtime and could only find a review of the Bocanegra which they didn't like. There was no mention of the Leon FR as far as I could see:shrug:

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
I picked up my new Candy white FR on the 28th September, so would be grateful if you could find out more detail of why the patch is required. I have not heard anything from my Seat dealer in Cardiff

Anyone who thinks the FR can't handle must either be driving something fantastic or has never been in one driven quickly!

Regards

John

Chris B

Jul 28, 2005
The recall is a patch for the BCM control unit software. Without it when the vehicle is at a standstill it is possible for the CAN-BUS to wake up and as a result the battery may run flat. Nothing to do with the DPF.

Datapro0

Jun 14, 2009
Wales
The recall is a patch for the BCM control unit software. Without it when the vehicle is at a standstill it is possible for the CAN-BUS to wake up and as a result the battery may run flat. Nothing to do with the DPF.
Hi Chris

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the BCM and CANBUS I would be interested to learn what functions these control.

I contacted Seat Cardiff and they emailed the service team with my reg and chassis number and luckily my car is not one of the ones on the recall list.

Regards

John

I noticed the Top Gear website reviews of the FR and Cupra when I was researching the car before buying it. It was conspicuously at odds with all the other FR reviews, so I just ignored it. I really like Top Gear on the telly but I wouldn't take everything they say seriously! ;)

i tend to ignore them, they only look for out and out handling, its like the R26 megane yes it may be quick but if you put other cars on track day tyres i'm sure they would have just as much grip. The only review I have taken notice of was the EVO long term report on the Cupra it gives a better indication of what a car is like to live with.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.