recomended head bulbs

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
I sure this has been covered many many time but a lot of new headlight bulbs have come on to the market lately.
I dont mind if the blub looks white or blue or yellow I am looking for a blub that will give me the best possible light much better than the standard light blub.
I drive a leon fr and the standard blubs are crap I also have a renault megane cc it has standard blubs but also has a kind of lens and the this makes it 100 better to see, I would like this kind of legal blub. Have been looking at
philips x-treme vision 100%
philips x-treme power80%
ring xenon max blubs 100% as seen on tv, but review not very good
halford 80% more light
or any other good blub you would recommend

daz_pd

Apr 15, 2007
N.Ireland
I sed the Halfords +50% ones, and found them very very good, much better light and have been on 2 years with no probs, I was tempted by the +80%, but apparently they dont last as long.

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
Well if you believe what Auto Express say they reckon the new Osram Nightbreaker Plus is the pick of the bulbs available.

I had the Ring Xenon Max 100% in until a couple of weeks ago when one of them went and now I've swapped to a spare set of Philips X-Treme +80% and they are a decent bulb.

If I didn't have these I'd have tried the new Philips +100%

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
I sed the Halfords +50% ones, and found them very very good, much better light and have been on 2 years with no probs, I was tempted by the +80%, but apparently they dont last as long.

Agreed i have these in my MR2 are are excellent. I have the Blue Brilliance which are actually very white not blue at all.

Rob

ps Halfords are doing 2 for 1 at the mo

Dean T

I'm tempted to fit some better bulbs but its the life expectancy that puts me off at the moment.

Keeping an eye on this thread :)

Dean T

There is a thread on mk5golfgti forum that is located in the below section with the name at the end;

Mk5 Golf GTI » All Things Mk5 » Mk5 General Area » Topic: Osram Night Breaker's

I would post a link to it but i cant as i dont have more than 15 posts! :confused::think:

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Just bought some Philips X-treme Power H1 main beam bulbs for my mk1, should arrive middle of this week - I will report back and take a before/after shot!

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Right, I've just fitted the bulbs.The pictures were taken on my phone because I didn't want to arse about for hours, they give you a good idea though! Seem to have given a wider brighter beam but my car is having a rest until Sunday so can't report what they are like on the road until then!

By the way, the bulbs I changed were the H1 Full beam bulbs and the pictures show side lights, dipped beams and full beams all on together.

The first two shots were on a hill so aren't great - sorry!

Before...

before.jpg

After...

after.jpg

This picture shows only the right bulb changed to Philips ...

before1.jpg

Then both...

after1.jpg

This is the front of the car with only the right-hand side bulb changed

Frontend1bulb.jpg

Hope that helps! (I also wanted to see the tangible difference through way of photos!)

Coops993

Dec 4, 2010
Just bought some Philips X-treme Power H1 main beam bulbs for my mk1, should arrive middle of this week - I will report back and take a before/after shot!

I tried those bulbs in my old MG ZT, they were good but only lasted 12 months, having said that the Halfords extreme bulbs only lasted 12 months too, think it was something to do with the car

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I tried those bulbs in my old MG ZT, they were good but only lasted 12 months, having said that the Halfords extreme bulbs only lasted 12 months too, think it was something to do with the car

Higher power bulbs tend not to last as long as normal bulbs so it's not uncommon for them go after only 12 months

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
I just upgraded my bulbs to the Ring +100% ones, had the Phillips +80% in my golf. Just parked them side-by-side and the Ring ones are brighter and whiter.

Changing bulbs in the leon is so much easier than the golf! It took me about 10 mins in the golf and ended with a lot of scratches on my hands. However the leon took less than 5 mins to change both and required no squeeze! Most people like to remove the bumper and battery of the golf just to change the bulb, but a bit of persistance and skinny hands can pay off instead!

Gazza_24

Sep 4, 2009
Engimaneer:

Any pics of what they look like at night, I'm torn between these and the osram night breakers

Engimaneer

The Anti-Sheep
Dec 22, 2010
Hants/Dorset
www.seatcupra.net
Engimaneer:

Any pics of what they look like at night, I'm torn between these and the osram night breakers

No I havnt got any im afraid,ill see if I get time in the next few days.

I cant comment on the Osram ones as I have never had them, but the Ring ones are better than the phillips ones.

People speak highly of them on the Golf forums though so I guess they must also be good.

bbob

Sep 28, 2004
I've got the Ring Xenonmax +100% in my FR and I'm not that impressed with them. I had the standard bulbs in before and they don't seem that much better. Whiter yes, but not much brighter. Have you seen the Autoexpress test on the Autoexpress web site? They compared quite a few on there and the ring Xenonmax didn't do that well.

Deleted member 56597

Ive got the Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs, theyre very good and are more white to look at than yellow, and light up the road very well.

Ive got some photos on my RR thread showing the difference between them and standard.

I agree the premium bulbs are a worthwhile upgrade over standard (not tried the Ring ones but tried both Philips and Osram flavours). Not as white (or blue) as a HID kit but much cheaper, easier to install, give a good beam pattern and they're legal. All decent benefits IMHO.

David101

Jun 20, 2012
I know noob question what size are the dipped bulbs eg h7 ect btw it's a 59 Leon fr

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.