Recommended tyres Cupra 1.8 tsi

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Only had the car a week but need to get rid of the ditch finders that are on the front. The rear has Bridgesone Potenza S001's but not sure if I should get the same for the front.

What do you guys recommend for the 2016 Cupra?

Thanks in advance.

James.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
It was a group test winner in 2010 so it maybe a bit dated now.

Average score on tyrereviews.co.uk is 74% so not bad at all, but there are better more modern options form Michelin and Continental that score 88-90%

Reviews I've read complain about poor grip when its part worn.

Reactions: Superman001

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
It was a group test winner in 2010 so it maybe a bit dated now.

Average score on tyrereviews.co.uk is 74% so not bad at all, but there are better more modern options form Michelin and Continental that score 88-90%

Reviews I've read complain about poor grip when its part worn.

I think I'll go with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 as they are more modern and get really good reviews, they aren't cheap but I want a good performance tyres.

James

Reactions: camelspyyder

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
2 Michelin Pilot Sport 4's getting fitted on Thursday, can't wait to get rid of the ditch finders. Not sure why someone would fit budget tyres on a Cupra, they are Runway performance 926 and although look almost brand new spin up in 3rd with ease and in the wet you just understeer all over the place, they are dangerously bad.

James.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Those Runways review so badly, it's a good thing you're getting rid.
I've had some cheap oriental tyres that were actually OK on slow hatchbacks or MPVs from labels like Goodride or Austone but I'd never put them on a performance car.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Never ceases to amaze me how many spend large sums on buying, insuring and then sometimes bragging about
their reputed 'great handling' or 'renowned driver's car'
- only to then effectively b*gger-up those exact same qualities and more by fitting the cheapest tyres they can find...

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Never ceases to amaze me how many spend large sums on buying, insuring and then sometimes bragging about
their reputed 'great handling' or 'renowned driver's car'
- only to then effectively b*gger-up those exact same qualities and more by fitting the cheapest tyres they can find...

Could not agree more, the lesser powered FR on Pilot Sport 4's would run rings around a Cupra on Runway tyres.

James

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
2 new front tyres fitted, the Runway 926 performance were down right dangerous spinning up in 3rd gear. Fitted Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and it's transformed the car, 2nd gear tight corners can now be taken with ease and no squirming under braking. The fronts are so good that I can feel the car start to rotate. The rears are Bridgestone Potenza S001 but will also get replaced with Pilot Sport 4's when they are worn.

James

Last edited:
Reactions: camelspyyder

Ibiza Cupra

Jun 25, 2017
Maybe at that time one cannot afford to splash out on the tyres at that time. Can't criticise people for their choices when you don't know why.....

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Maybe at that time one cannot afford to splash out on the tyres at that time. Can't criticise people for their choices when you don't know why.....

It's false economy to fit cheap dangerous tyres.
Either they wear out quicker so you have to spend more replacing them or you could have an accident because of the ridiculous understeer or easily aquaplane into another car costing you even more. When it comes to the only thing between you and the road at least fit mid range tyres, not ditch finders.

James

Ibiza Cupra

Jun 25, 2017
It's false economy to fit cheap dangerous tyres.
Either they wear out quicker so you have to spend more replacing them or you could have an accident because of the ridiculous understeer or easily aquaplane into another car costing you even more. When it comes to the only thing between you and the road at least fit mid range tyres, not ditch finders.

James
Are you willing to state to the company and to the public that they produce dangerous tyres and prone to accidents? Bare in mind that this will probably lead to a law suit against you as they would not be on the road if that is the case....

Yes, some are not food for economy, but at that moment in time, that is what they can afford to buy.

I have bough budget, mid and top range tyres, depending on what I can afford at that time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Are you willing to state to the company and to the public that they produce dangerous tyres and prone to accidents? Bare in mind that this will probably lead to a law suit against you as they would not be on the road if that is the case....

Yes, some are not food for economy, but at that moment in time, that is what they can afford to buy.

I have bough budget, mid and top range tyres, depending on what I can afford at that time.

Yes they were dangerous because under braking in the wet the car would squirm rather than pull up straight at relatively low speeds and one particular corner that can normally be taken without drama at 45mph had the car badly understeering at 37mph. If the car didn't have traction and stability control like my 2005 Accord I would have gone off the road. So much care had to be taken in the wet that the car had to be driven very slowly and I had no confidence in the tyres at all. Also under very light acceleration the tyres would spin up in 3rd gear in the wet even when driving in a straight line.

James

Ibiza Cupra

Jun 25, 2017
Yes they were dangerous because under braking in the wet the car would squirm rather than pull up straight at relatively low speeds and one particular corner that can normally be taken without drama at 45mph had the car badly understeering at 37mph. If the car didn't have traction and stability control like my 2005 Accord I would have gone off the road. So much care had to be taken in the wet that the car had to be driven very slowly and I had no confidence in the tyres at all. Also under very light acceleration the tyres would spin up in 3rd gear in the wet even when driving in a straight line.

James
Ok, contact the companies, name them and let them know you will tell people they are officially unroad worthy.... lets see what happens. Obviously there are all types of tyres, but to say a legit tyre is dangerous when they are fit for road use is an absolute joke.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Very forthright. Just go to Tyrereviews.co.uk. They have links to many years of German group tests, and the German press don't pull any punches if a tyre is crap often giving scores of zero in areas where the tyre doesn't perform. I don't see Auto-Bild or other organisations getting sued out of business for publicly savaging Linglong or other brands of unsafe rubbish,

People often buy cars they cant afford to maintain - and then drive their kids about on unsafe rubber to save £50 a corner. Just not worth it.

Ibiza Cupra

Jun 25, 2017
You guys are extreme. If we go germany we can scrap tyres that are 100% perfect if they are unused but were made 3 years beforehand.

Or should we go by the Italian rules and force change between winter/summer tyres?

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Very forthright. Just go to Tyrereviews.co.uk. They have links to many years of German group tests, and the German press don't pull any punches if a tyre is crap often giving scores of zero in areas where the tyre doesn't perform. I don't see Auto-Bild or other organisations getting sued out of business for publicly savaging Linglong or other brands of unsafe rubbish,

People often buy cars they cant afford to maintain - and then drive their kids about on unsafe rubber to save £50 a corner. Just not worth it.
Completely agree, just not worth it especially if you drive your kids around in the car. The difference between a rubbish Chinese tyre and mid range is only about £20-30 a tyre.

James

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.