Reduce play in steering (5min job with guide)

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Ok so i stumbled across an old thread, in which people complained about excess play and knocking in the steering. Steering on the mk3 is pretty poor compared to other cars, and my main gripes is the play and general woolyness:blink:
On this thread SPUD_G40 said about tightening the connecter bolts on the steering shaft as it goes through the bulkhead. This seemed to work and was an instant fix (even for the people who couldn't feel much play in it)

I've done a guide below to show how to do this, it's really easy!!:D

1. Undo the three crosshead screws that hold the dash undertray in the footwell.

106.jpg

2. Remove undertray

105.jpg

3. You need to remove the plastic gater which surrounds the steering column as it enters the bulkhead, undo the 2 plastic 10mm bolts

104.jpg

4. you should then see the 2 13mm brass bolts on the steering column which need to be tightened. Give it a wobble mine had loads of play in it!!!

102.jpg

5. Tighten the 2 13mm bolts. (don't expect them to be loose mine were not) i tightened them until i felt no more play in the steering. And then some more for good measure :D Don't get silly though and overtighten them.

103.jpg

Then refit everything and check out your new tight steering!!:funk:

dai cupra

exellent guide mate ive got a bit ov play in mine ill have to give it a shot cheers pal

dai cupra

so u really havnt been out in it yet how do u no it works for sure

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Right i've just driven to the shop! steering feels 100% more confident and alot quicker. Really pleased with it!!:D i'll go out for a 'proper' drive after rush hour

Mat

Never really had a problem with the steering TBH. Might be worth a look one day when I'm bored (along with actually doin the N112 LMAO)

Mat

Only time i've noticed is the few times I've drove my bros megane 225. However, his just feels lighter (a lot).

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
I'd take those nuts off and put a bit of loctite on so you don't have to keep tightening it :)

Yes you should have something similar on the mk4 I believe, all that part is, is the connection from the steering column in the car to the power steering rack(I think thats where it goes anyway lol)

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Yeah i think if you never drive anything else you don't really notice (get used to the crapness lol) But it's definatley worth doing for the sake of 5 or 10 mins. Give it a go see what you think ;)

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
I'd take those nuts off and put a bit of loctite on so you don't have to keep tightening it :)

Yes you should have something similar on the mk4 I believe, all that part is, is the connection from the steering column in the car to the power steering rack(I think thats where it goes anyway lol)

Not a bad idea, but the nuts were not actually loose they were fairly tight. It was just the connection that was loose:think:

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Not a bad idea, but the nuts were not actually loose they were fairly tight. It was just the connection that was loose:think:

hmmm I dont get you lol!

103.jpg

In this pic the red arrow is pointing to a backing plate which is basically a plate with 2 threads coming off which go through the column the blue arrow is pointing to and another column at the other end and then obviously the nuts hold this in place to keep them together, the other shaft around them shouldn't allow any "twisting" motion so I do find it strange that tightening them when there not loose makes any difference!

I actually drove my car without one of the nuts in place and it didn't make any difference to the feel of the driving lol

Jordan20vt

Mk3 20VT
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
Yeah i know what your saying but the nuts wern't actually loose, but there was a fair bit of play where the shaft you have arrowed in blue goes into the join arrowed in red. Sure it could probably hold secure with only one nut tight.

But if there is play at any point of the steering system then it's going to make it lack feel. Slight turns of the wheel are going to just move the loose part of the linkage instead of the tyres. Same will happen in reverse with the feedback you get from the tyres on the road.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
I think there should be play in these componants to allow the rack to move in an accident so the steering wheel doesn't end up in your chest!

TractorboyITFC

How is a tiny bit of movement goin to stop the steering wheel hitting you??? The rack is so burried under the car toward the back it would probably never get hit in an accident anyway. There should not be play in the steering, those bolts are there purely to hold the shafts tight together. There should not be any play.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.