Reducing under engine temperatures

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I've been getting some deformation of my intercooler pipe (front nearside), and wondered whether it was caused by heat under the engine bay or temp within the pipe itself + increased boost from remap.

Having looked at some of the threads on Samco hoses:

a) theyre not that cheap for 0.1% performace improvement
b) Some say silicon content is detrimental to cat and lambda probe

Would reducing the temp under the engine bay help at all? In the demon tweeks catalogue it says reducing the engine bay temp increases power using exhaust insulation wrap. Is this only an useful for cars without intercoolers?

Would it make any difference on an LCR or should I get on the phone to Forge Motorsport and get 2 samco pipes instead?

I know this isn't strictly 'Engine Tuning' but didnt know where else to put it.

:cheers:

Warren

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i'd say do both :p

save power loss and reduce heat with some lagging

nd keep it in tow with the hoses

especially as Forge have a samco sale on @ the monet

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
removing the undertray & under bonnet blanket helped mine no end (oil temps dropped a good 10C)
M

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
I think the main thing that's going to be causing the IC hoses hot enough to deform is the fact compresed air is being rammed through them...

OK, so cutting vents into your bonnet may help things, but I think upgrading the hoses is what's needed.

What's this about silicone damaging the cat?? New one to me!! :confused:

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
undertray removal will lead to accelerated power steering belt failure, you heard it here first..
Due to water and dirt getting into and between the belts.

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
CupraR-Rog said:
What's this about silicone damaging the cat?? New one to me!! :confused:

Max_Torque done once of his nice technical posts in which he pointed out that silicon hoses actually damage the cat/lambda probes (Can't remember which, probes I think).... I guess the post was in the Samco hoses thread.

Ben

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
BenS1 said:
Max_Torque done once of his nice technical posts in which he pointed out that silicon hoses actually damage the cat/lambda probes (Can't remember which, probes I think).... I guess the post was in the Samco hoses thread.

Ben
Where's a "gulp" emoticon when you need one?? :blink:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
BenS1 said:

Ben

only over a long term use - say 50/60'000 miles

saying that most lambda's need cleaning out or replacing by then anyway

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I have never heard of a Silicone hose being blamed for lambda failure..... othe rthan lambda failure from normal mortality.. (lets face it how could you tell the difference)

Silicon spray however, a la shiney blinging up ya engine bay, can have a detrimantal effect.

Hoses are autoclave cured, and non volatile... but the aerosole sprays are more likely the silicon concern.

Bill

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
I wouldn't worry about the undertray either....
I lost my undertary when my car was a week old and the right angled lip it has caught over the top of a kerb when I parked.
Have done 60000 miles without it no problem..
I never thought about it but even in the summer and with revo my engine temp has never gone above 90degrees....maybe thats the missing undertray?
Engine bay is a little dusty though but nothing major and no rusty bits.

Jammy

Jan 24, 2004
with revo my engine temp has never gone above 90degrees....

Be careful though, Engines are designed to run around the 90degree mark. Running at lower temps can be dodgy. Same reason you dont raz it when its cold.

JAmes

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I thinkt what they're aiming for is lower ambient temperatures under the bonnet rather than cooling their engine

but the point that people miss is that they're looking at the coolant, not the oil!

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
I thought they were meaning reducing under bonnet temps, to help reduce air intake temps - ie lower induction temps by letting mor eair pass through the eangine bay ?

slim_boy_fat

CupraR-Rog said:
I think the main thing that's going to be causing the IC hoses hot enough to deform is the fact compresed air is being rammed through them...

That doesnt make sense!!

The exhaust manifold wraps are a great idea, as not only do they keep heat away from the engine bay, but they keep the energy in the exhaust gasses which helps with turbo spool up, especially if the turbo is a long way from the manifold.

I am sure my tdi had hard pipes, inface my golf tdi has hard ic pipes as does my 944. Can you get them for the Leon?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.