Regular vrs super unleaded petrol

AL Cupra

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm getting a new Cupra in June and I was wondering if it will have to be run on super-unleaded.

Does the extra 6p a litre in fuel types give you much benefit in economy/performace? Does it give better effeciency as you get more miles per gallon? Does it give you better performance and how much? Does it shave a few tenths from the 0-60 or is a second?
And it it better for the engines health?

And what is the actual difference between the 2 petrols is it just more refined/pure?

Thanks in advance

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I would follow the manual, if it asks for it, use it. My car says use 98, my mates says 95. My car really benefits from super, his not as much.

If I remember rightly, the number is the fuels ability to not explode, but actually burn in a controlled manner. The main difference is that 98 ron burns slower, which gives a greater power output, but your cars timing has to be set to use that extra burn otherwise it's just wasted.

That's all from memory, so others might have a better explanation.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
I run mine on V power. I can't comment with any levels of measurement as never been nerdy or driven consistemtly enough to try and document!!

However, I do notice increased performance with V power over normal unleaded and try to use V power when ever I can.

I think you will find you filer cap states a 'minimum' RON so no harm running on higher performance fuels

Furthermore if you planning a remap these are setup based on the fuel you use and obviously better performance from better fuels.

I think also lots of threads on this topic if you search you will find most people go for v power when they can some with the 99 RON from Tescos

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
My 07 Tfsi manual states the minimum required- UK regular is fine but adds that best power is from higher octane gas, the logic is that you can comfortably run it on all normal fuel without problems but will only get peak power from super. I have not measured any consumption improvement but the car fells quicker.
I cannot rule out the psychological explanation-it is also faster and smoother when washed and shined!

Rickst3r

Cupra K1...
Dec 13, 2009
Falkirk, Central Scotland
I think the SUper Unleaded stuff is way better than normal RON95 fuel. Sure the good stuff is circa 5p more than normal unleaded, but over say 50 ltrs it's only £2.50 extra too fill up!!

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
I have run mine on normal and super.

Using the normal the cars performance feels flat and lethergic, whilst with the super the throttle response feels like it is improved and the car feels more interested in getting moving.

This may all be in my mind, but i'm concerned about it enough to use the super all the time due to it.

gazmania1

I've only had my FR for a month and started it on normal unleaded and was getting about 29-30 mpg at the end of a 4 mile journey to and from work. I'm now using V power and am getting 32mpg at the end of the same run. Not been driving it any differently so guess maybe the engine works more efficiently or something.....

Last edited by a moderator:

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
^^^^^^
Possible but not certain, if the car is new it may be the engine has loosened up a little or that you have adjusted your driving style to suit the car. For the last 10 days the schools have been on holiday around here and the average traffic has been lighter. I don't think even shell claim that much improvement although a couple of percent is credible. A 6%+ change is unlikely to be just fuel.

saintelise

I've had my Cupra for a couple of years now and have filled it with V Power and less potent fuels and quite honestly have never noticed any difference whatsoever, apart from the fact that V Power is more expensive.

I guess you boys with re-maps who are hammering along on the red line everwhere obviously know what you are talking about, so whatever works for you.

SEAT do recommend a minimum of 95RON but the engine prefers 98RON or higher.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I used normal unleaded for a week or so when there was a v power shortage. The car was very lethargic. I eventually got fed up and travelled 10 miles to get some Tesco Super. Within 40 miles the car was significantly faster and much more responsive. The extra cost does piss me off but then petrol is dear regardless. Time for a 1.6 cr diesel Ibiza I think.:doh:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise