Relocating battery to boot.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I plan to relocate my battery to the boot over the winter, just wondering if anyone has done it in a Leon and where you mounted it, parts used, etc.? I've read a few threads about it on various makes of cars, doesn't look difficult but anymore info is always good.

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
rob why do want to move the battery to the boot are you planning to put to put something else in the engine bay:confused:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
As Bill said, it's all about weight distribution plus more room in the bay to fit a proper un-obstructed air filter setup at the front of the bay.

I plan to use the spare wheel well yes.

mine has angle strip welded in to form the rim onto which the battery box sits, in which the battery sits, and all held in with a ratchet strap looping under the angle frame and over the top of the box. MSA scruitineer approved.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Cheers Bill! What gauge of power cable will I need to run the + from the bay to the boot, something like 10 or 8 AWG or even thicker than that, like 4?

mines in 10awg (welding cable)
mark the earth in yellow to keep scruitineers happy.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
I fitted my sounds the other day and ran 4 gauge wire up the passenger side with no problem. Will have problems with 0 or 2 Gauge wire though and there is no point in having that thickness IMO.
Was thinking about relocating the battery when i built the install (bought a sealed optima with monster cranking amps :)), but going to leave it for a while as still contemplating cutting the spare wheel well out to fit a twin exit TT style exhaust. I know people will think im nuts (my old man looked at me like i had just shat on his foot when i told him about it), but if im going to keep the car for a good while (m3 keeps bugging my brain though) then i will do it (its only the resale value that is stopping me going outside with a burner now).
PS i know that i could get a twin exit exhaust and keep the spare wheel but they would be too far apart and the cut outs in the bumper on the car now are perfect width.
Just have to wait and see how stupid i get now lol :blink: but if i do then will make a box for the battery to sit in where the wheel well was!!

Rob got to say mate, yours is by far the best looking leon i have seen and that colour is simply stunning. Very jealous :cry: :drool:

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
0 AWG is a PITA - there's no easy (tidy) way to get it round the back seats

I didn't have enough length to take it up and behind the boot panel so had to break it out at the n/s seat mounting .... now whenever I fold the seat down, the cable pushes it out of it's hinge

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Have you done this yet? From memory, on the left hand side of the boot behind the left hand rear wheel, there is a huge chunk of polystyrene behind the trim , roughly (small) battery sized :shrug:

Last edited:

davet175

wrx??? who are they?
Dec 2, 2007
hampshire
i used to build competition ice installs a few years back and would reccomend you use 2 guage at least so you dont get a loss under load. you are best to remove the passengers seat and run the cable through the centre of the car to ensure no interferance with any other electrical components and as for battery trays just look at what is used in racing or a vauxhall nova has a bracket which will suit any fitment and be easy to install. if it is for weight etc. use a sealed cell battery which will be smaller and better quality but you will pay for it.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.