Remap help

bigbeefy1978

Oct 3, 2018
as some of you will probably know I am a total novice at all this tuning and modding thing,

I have just bought a totally standard Leon cupra and I want to start doing the usual things to it,

I have done loads of reading about Remaps and most places seam to offer the same bhp increase for stage 1 (about 215 bhp) but the torque figures are another thing,

They are crazy there is some companies quoting figures such as 320 nm for a stage 1......

Please correct me if I’m wrong but from what I have been reading on here that will basically just destroy my engine,

This tuning and modding thing is a bloody mine field lol,

So please be advised there will be a lot of (not him again) type questions again lol

But I need all the help I can get

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmmm, are you getting nm and ft lbs confused? Which BHP engine is it in your Cupra?

bigbeefy1978

Oct 3, 2018
No mate it definitely says nm (picture attached)

Mine is the 180bhp

Attachments

• 3F1A56D6-C6B5-4225-BDF1-4379968E97BC.png
    3F1A56D6-C6B5-4225-BDF1-4379968E97BC.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 95

bigbeefy1978

Oct 3, 2018
It’s so hard to know what places you can trust and which ones you can’t,

It’s got my head done in lol

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Roughly what area are you looking at and maybe we can come up with some reputable places?

bigbeefy1978

Oct 3, 2018
I live in the north east mate,
Durham to be exact,

I’m looking for a decent place for an exhaust and remap

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
After a long while of thinking better of it, nagging curiosity finally got to me and I've booked-in the Missus' GM Korea shopping trolley as a guinea-pig for a 'cheaper-than-some' remap in the morning.

Officially I'm blaming her as she's recently started a new job with a 14-mile each way commute on fast dual-lane 'A' roads and is now bemoaning the car's lack of overtaking grunt, (and she's comparing it to the previous 1-litre Daihatsu she had before.)

This particular example will be an even better test of results than the usual turbo engines that remaps are renowned for, because it isn't - a turbo I mean.
What it is is a very modest 1.2 litre 16V petrol that musters all of 83 BHP in standard trim and seemingly next to b*gger-all in terms of torque at anything below 3500 RPM.

No-one is stating that anything more than 12% is possible and to be fair to the guys doing it they double-checked with me that I understood this.
At best I'm hoping for a bit extra pull low-down, a reduction in the couple of flat spots it has and maybe a small improvement in cruise fuel economy.

Not much point posting with warnings or tales of woe - I've had various alarm bells about it in my head ever since I first researched about such things donkeys years ago. But it's an itch I've long wanted to scratch and I'm happy to share the results, whether positive or not.

In the end I'm not risking much in cash terms and it comes with a promise to revert to the standard map within 30 days if not satisfied

- and it's not actually my car anyway...:D

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Depends if the engine is detuned alreay, my Porsche is NA, but its a detuned version so it made 30bhp from software, most NA will make about 5-10bhp.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
A bit of an anti-climax yesterday, as despite the database claiming that the car, (a Chevrolet/Deawoo T250) having an ECU that could be accessed/remapped okay via the OBD2 port, it was found-out it didn't.

This would have meant a much-longer job of removing the ECU, which no-one had the time for on a Saturday, and would make it 30% more expensive, so it was left. The guy doing it was very fair and took no money for the 3/4 of an hour of work time spent on it before this discovery.

Earlier we had talked/joked about the wisdom of remapping such a modest n/a petrol car and the guy mentioned that apart from the many uber-power turbo diesels remapped, he'd also done his Mother's old 1.2 n/a Fiesta, which she reported back as being quote, 'vroomier' :rolleyes: than before, which is as good as anyone can expect.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.