Remap or Tune box?

Bucksssss

Mar 13, 2019
Hello all :)

I am currently looking to up the power of my GTD however I am quite unsure of the pros and cons between remap and tuning box? I had my Cupra remapped and it was great, but surely tuning boxes are too good to be true? A literal plug and play whenever you want it?

If anybody knows the pros and cons to either a remap and a tuning box in comparison it would be amazing to hear as I’m struggling to find specific information on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I've got a Revo map on mine and you can alter some of the settings to adjust boost, fuelling, etc. You can set it up yourself. But if you do, you'd need to take it out and monitor what timing it's pulling, etc. The tuning boxes are good in that you can unplug them when you need. But also, the map will be generic so to get the right settings you'd either have to aim low or take it out for logging sessions. So for me, when I want my settings tweaking (if I change fuel for example). I drop it off at the mappers, they measure timing pull on the rolling road while I have a coffee and give it back.

I've seen positive feedback of the tuning boxes. But obviously if you go for the highest settings and your car can't handle it. Whereas a map (even an off the shelf one) is set to safe levels for your specific vehicle.

Bucksssss

Mar 13, 2019
I've got a Revo map on mine and you can alter some of the settings to adjust boost, fuelling, etc. You can set it up yourself. But if you do, you'd need to take it out and monitor what timing it's pulling, etc. The tuning boxes are good in that you can unplug them when you need. But also, the map will be generic so to get the right settings you'd either have to aim low or take it out for logging sessions. So for me, when I want my settings tweaking (if I change fuel for example). I drop it off at the mappers, they measure timing pull on the rolling road while I have a coffee and give it back.

I've seen positive feedback of the tuning boxes. But obviously if you go for the highest settings and your car can't handle it. Whereas a map (even an off the shelf one) is set to safe levels for your specific vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. So what I gather is that a tune box is more reward, yet more consequences if it goes wrong. And a remap is relatively safe?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks for the reply. So what I gather is that a tune box is more reward, yet more consequences if it goes wrong. And a remap is relatively safe?

It's not more reward in that respect, I could ask the mapper to give me 380bhp and damn the consequences with a remap. When being remapped, I'd guess they'd add on 10bhp or so at a time until the engine starts to pull timing. With the tuning box, that's your job to check and find the right setting.

Think of it as a remap is specific to your engine/fuel/setup. And a tuning box is a generic for that make and model of car. Some cars will be happy going +40bhp. Some might only like +25bhp. But the only way you'd really know is to check the timing pull. Because if you run it too high, the ecu will try and protect the engine and you'll be driving round and never know.

Bucksssss

Mar 13, 2019
Thank you to both for the replies.

That article was a very informative and interesting read but it has now led me to wonder if it’s worth getting a remap if I’m not getting the DSG mapped too?!

Deleted member 103408

Personal choice at the end of the day, there are plenty of threads on here of people who have done both telling both good and bad stories so have a read. You should also talk to your insurance company to see if there is any difference in upgrade cost's

Reactions: Bucksssss
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.