Remote Central Locking Kit Fitting.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Bought a Hawk upgrade kit to change the Ibiza central locking to remote central locking.

Got provided with a wiring sheet telling what wires are what colour on the Ibiza loom and where is best to connect them, mainly on the steering column loom as there is also a +ve 12v and Ignition 12v there and to use the central locking wires in that come from the drivers door, which is handy.

It also says on this sheet that the Ibiza system is a Multipoint Positive Central Locking system. Ive looked at the wiring diagrams in the instructions but there are 2 I think that are applicable.

WiringDiagrams-CentralLocking.jpg

Looking at that Diagrams B or D could be applicable.

So how do I go about wiring it up?? Indicators, earth and the +ve 12v and Ignition 12v are simple enough, its just the wires for the central locking. There are 6 wires, yellow white and orange and 3 same 3 with a black stripe.

Cheers.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
surely if you have original vacuum locking then it's remote anyway ?

either way the pump uses 3 wires to activate it

1 common and 2 signals

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
surely if you have original vacuum locking then it's remote anyway ?

either way the pump uses 3 wires to activate it

1 common and 2 signals

I have the original vacuum locking but it isnt remote and has never been. Have to physically put the key in the lock and turn it for the central locking to open/lock the car.

Isnt the locking like trigger activated so diagram B would be correct??

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
scans a bit rough - can't read it zoomed in with my old arc-eyes :( sorry

if you have access to another car with a remote it's worth a test programming it in

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I have the original vacuum locking but it isnt remote and has never been. Have to physically put the key in the lock and turn it for the central locking to open/lock the car.

Isnt the locking like trigger activated so diagram B would be correct??

I'd say someone lost your remote key as flapper is suggesting.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
I'd say someone lost your remote key as flapper is suggesting.

Dont think so as both of the keys are the same and they are both the original keys. Mine is the 'base spec' Estillo model, only came with electric windows and central locking and thats about it.

And I have had a look around the inside of the car for the remote locking unit, looked behind the dash and almost every other place and it definetely isnt there.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
ahh you found the thread i was looking for :)

pin 1 - red/green (+ve switch)
pin 2 - brown (earth)
pin 3 - red/blue (+ve switch)

been years since i put that up mind so i would get a multimeter test on them when you lock/unlock the door to be sure but D seems the most fitting setup

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
ahh you found the thread i was looking for :)

pin 1 - red/green (+ve switch)
pin 2 - brown (earth)
pin 3 - red/blue (+ve switch)

been years since i put that up mind so i would get a multimeter test on them when you lock/unlock the door to be sure but D seems the most fitting setup

I thought that it would be diagram D, do you know if it would still work if I didnt cut the wire like it suggests on the diagram?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hmm B does look more likely going on what flapper has said.

The link to the thread I posted has the exact same colourways as the kit I have. If I have to connect the Yellow and Yellow/Black wires to a 12v source, where would be best to do this??

The kit I have advises to use the wiring running up the steering column as all the wires that are required are there. Perm +12v, ignition +12v, indicator wires and the wiring that goes into the door.

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
youll want to use diagram B from starring at it... i cant see clearly what it says though...
you wont need to chop the wires either just splice the 2 signal + wires to the lock and un lock wires...

Best places to get power from would be the hazard warning light switch for ease of access, plus youll get the feed for the indicators to there too...

you may need to use 2 diodes in the wiring depending how the system works for the indicators

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
youll want to use diagram B from starring at it... i cant see clearly what it says though...
you wont need to chop the wires either just splice the 2 signal + wires to the lock and un lock wires...

Best places to get power from would be the hazard warning light switch for ease of access, plus youll get the feed for the indicators to there too...

you may need to use 2 diodes in the wiring depending how the system works for the indicators

Diagram B has on it 'Prior to making the connection ensure the alarm is programmed for the appropriate locking pulse'.

From the wiring info sheet I got from Hawk, the kit supplier it says to use the main red and black wires going up the steering wheel harness for the main +ve 12v and for the ignition 12v+. On diagram B you also have to connect the yellow and yellow/black wires to another 12v source, so use the hazard warning light switch for that as you say??

I will keep that in mind about the diodes. Thanks for the help. [B)]

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Right wired this in today and have pretty much got it working ok.

But there is one or two things Im wondering.

First is that the passenger side indicator seems to stay on alittle longer than the drivers sdie when you lock the car.

Secondly what 12v source could I use around the steering wheel area?? I used diagram B and connected the yellow and yellow/black to the black/white/green wire for the hazard light switch but not sure if that is 100% correct.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members