Removing engine cover

tigor

Feb 10, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
How??

Trying to fit a new panel filter and can't get the cover off.

I know to remove the breather pipe and the breather hose but I can't get the hose off. Is it clipped on? The breather pipe just slips off for me.

Then is it just a matter of pulling the cover up?

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
there are 2 screws on the right hand side. Un-do these and pull the air box lid to the right...use abit of force. no need to disconnect the MAF etc!!

tigor

Feb 10, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I know this is for fitting an induction kit, but the first few steps should be the same.

There's no sign of removing screws from the diagrams. Where are these located?

andy_gdon

Aug 20, 2004
Thats gonna be bad for performance mate!! Heat from the engine will slaughter it...even with the cold air feed!!

tigor

Feb 10, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
No, saying I've got a panel filter to replace my current filter. Not putting on an induction kit for that reason. Only have the diagram up cause there wasn't one showing how to fit a panel filter.

Deleted member 5985

Once the 2 hoses are off it's just a case if lifting it up and slightly wiggling it to get it off. To the the bigger pipe of u need a bit of force, but don't blame me if u end up snapping the thing! I think I pulled the L shaped connector bit slightly upwards and it came off

tigor

Feb 10, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Only had the engine on to check the car still ran and I hadn't broken anything! Going out in an hour or so and will get back to you on any noticeable difference.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
hi guys my 1.4 Se has made a massive diff with the K&N replacment air filter! (to get the engine cover off pull the corners of the enigne cover *as told me by local garage*) £35 for my replacment filter well worth it! nice sound from the exhaust now lol it kind of burbles !

tigor

Feb 10, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
Sorry I forgot to get back to you guys. There is defo a performance increase and for such little £ too! The burbling I get isn't such a huge difference but it's definitely noticeable.

ST03VEN

good stuff chief, how much did it cost u then and where did u get it from?

tigor

Feb 10, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
I got mine new off ebay. There are loads of sellers around though. I was told one wasn't made for our engine but found one available for the Polo and chanced it. Luckily found out it's identical. K&N part number 33-2850.

ST03VEN

bought one myself after hearing the positive feedbak on the ones u guys had got, should get it in the post sometime this week :D

ST03VEN

Have u guys ever thot bout tryin to come with something to get more cold air to the panel filter?

Deleted member 5985

Yup, though about it, I don't see the point in having the intake at a 90 degree angle to the front of the car, a tad stupid surely!?

Never did anything about it tho

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.