1. Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store. and are now half price.

Removing the steering wheel badge?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Lallen82, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Lallen82

Lallen82 Guest

ok my S on my steering wheel is all marked up i would like to change it but no one knows how too do i just pull it off and hope airbag doesnt go off in my face ???

2. Stokie

Stokie Mk3 Leon Fr184

Mines the same, really would like to replace it, but how???

3. wayne lcr

wayne lcr bored of it now

its just like a sticker and pulls of.

4. Lallen82

Lallen82 Guest

just a sticker !!! i was pulling on it like mad about 10mins ago lol

5. wayne lcr

dont pull the black bit just the edge of the s.

6. Pyro

Pyro Guest

Sticker on a plate the black bit being the plate ;)

7. dh00001

dh00001 Active Member

it comes off with a lot of pulling, its glued on and then has a pin type thing on the back that hold its on.
    Got mine off with two screwdrivers and alot of swearing, air back didnt go off either

8. Lallen82

Lallen82 Guest

so just to be clear im pulling off the inner badge which is the S the outer black ring i leave that on ?

9. Pyro

Pyro Guest

think so as far as im awear you can

10. Lallen82

Lallen82 Guest

it came off lol

11. Pyro

Pyro Guest

Glad to hear it

12. mikeholroyd

mikeholroyd Guest

You lot are braver than me, playing with screwdrivers and brute force!

That's not a steering wheel centre, it's an AIRBAG, and not meant to be modified in any way!

I've worked extensively with both police and fire services in the last few years, and have set up demonstrations of airbags deploying. They are extremely dangerous things to be playing about with, and are not toys. Anything "stuck" to the cover, including the badge, from the factory will have been done with special adhesive and usually fasteners as well , and probably in a specific way -- if you replace the badge, and don't get it attached as it should be, worst case scenario is that it will become a 200mph projectile when the airbag deploys, and could quite easily seriously injure or even maim you.

One experiment we set up was an airbag with a St. Christopher superglued to the airbag cover. When the airbag deployed, the St Christopher was found 65 feet away from the airbag! That's over 4 cars lengths away! Imagine your face being in the way of that!

PLEASE think very carefully before even attempting to change or alter anything with the airbag! Trust me, they are not pleasant things to go off in your face.

Mike

#12 mikeholroyd, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
  13. Skii

Skii Active Member

Good advice Mike.

14. Lallen82

Lallen82 Guest

that told me

15. wayne lcr

yea theres sensible pulling and going at it stupid if you do things rite it wont come back and bite you in the ass??.

16. itfben

itfben DsignVinyl.com

I think I will be getting the SEAT garage to change my steering wheel, wana be sure the airbags connected right.

17. mikeholroyd

mikeholroyd Guest

Like I said, it's not just the pulling the badge off that's the problem. When you replace the badge, it may look securely stuck to the wheel, but there's a very real danger it isn't, and could extremely dangerous as in above post
    There's no such thing as "doing it right" when playing around with airbags

Mike

18. Slimy

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that if a garage holds two or more airbags on site they have to have a firearms licence? To me it sounds like rubbish, but then again I wouldn't put anything past health and safety!

As for the steering wheel 'S', if mine was scratched up I'd be tempted to get some carbon fibre vinyl and cover it, similar to what a few people are doing to their external badges now.

19. mikeholroyd

mikeholroyd Guest

It's not so much a "firearms" licence that's needed, but anyone in a garage doing any form of work on airbag or seat belt pretensioner systems must be properly qualified to do so.

Technically, the back street garage isn't even now allowed to change indicator/wiper stalks if that involves removing the steering wheel (and so the airbags)

Mike

20. wayne lcr

There's no such thing as "doing it right" when playing around with airbags
    course there is ive had mine off 3 times so if you do it right you will make it go off??????.
    commen sense is a word that comes to mind here.
    its like playing with fire it will burn you 1 day.
    it will take more than a badge to sett it off imo.