Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest. If you're not subscribing to us on YouTube yet, you're missing out on car news and reviews. Subscribe to our channel to get notified when we post new videos.

Removing the steering wheel badge?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1 (2000-2006)' started by Lallen82, Aug 8, 2010.

1. mikeholroyd

mikeholroyd Guest

I'm not for one minute saying that removing the airbag or its badge will set it off.

If the airbag is removed and refitted in the way it was intended, there is no problem. If there wasn't a proper way to remove handle, store and refit airbags, why do you think they have introduced the law that only qualified persons are allowed to do it???????

What I am saying is that is is exceptionally dangerous to play about with an airbag by changing anything from how it originally was manufactured. I'm not saying that removing the badge could set it off (unless the screwdriver the OP was using slips and shorts out the firing mechanism)-- what I am trying to point out is the danger of incorrectly reattached badges if the airbag is deployed in an accident

Until you see the power of an airbag explosion first hand under controlled conditions, you truly have no idea of the damage they can do to you.

Mike

#21 mikeholroyd, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Booya

Booya LCR 225

You got my interest there but after a quick photoshop I think it looks nasty!

[​IMG]

3. Slimy

Yeah, doing the whole thing does look a bit nasty. I meant just overlay the 'S' shape rather than the whole area?

Although with the black with red trim I'd be tempted to try something a bit similar on the S as well. And maybe get your steering wheel back in the right place? It doesn't look right on that side! ;)

4. Booya

Booya LCR 225

Oh just the "S"? Cool idea! Might take a photo of MY steering wheel later and try it. Think that image was from someone off here. Pls don't sue me :(

5. wayne lcr

wayne lcr bored of it now

looks pants but like the (R) steering wheel when its new.

6. Slimy

Ah, that makes a bit more sense then! :) I wondered why you had a LHD Leon...

You could always buy chrome effect vinyl and get it back to it's former glory, although I've only ever seen it on Ebay and not in the real world.

Then again, I have seen a brushed aluminium effect vinyl, and that did look good...

7. Booya

Booya LCR 225

Not a huge chrome fan mate. Think it looks quite cheap cos it's usually plastic! I prefer the black stealthy look : )

8. Slimy

Yeah, I have to agree with you there. I do like proper chrome, especially the 'black chrome' you can get. But I think the chrome vinyl will look cheap regardless of how good it is...

I've just noticed, you already have a carbon wrapped spoiler and S badge, I think continuing the theme inside would work well.

9. Mark300zx

If you want to muck about with the airbags disconnect the battery for a couple of hours beforehand, has anyone sourced a replacement badge for the steering wheel??

10. Booya

Booya LCR 225

I agree ;) Lots of bends and awkward curves though :(

11. wayne lcr

there was a guy on ebay that made centre caps fot the lcr wheels i was going to ask him to make a 65 or 70 mm 1 to replace the (s) in the steering wheel.

12. Mark300zx

Count me in if he does, don't know it is possible but would it be possible to get oversized dome type so we can just glue it on top?

Mike H is there any possibility of you sourcing some of the special glue used for airbag fixings?

13. Booya

Booya LCR 225

Like these wayne? - 260635334918

14. wayne lcr

yea but not carbon more like me wheel 1
    [​IMG]

15. Booya

Booya LCR 225

I have the same ones wayne lol.

~I really need to get some up to date pics up of my motor

16. wayne lcr

thats the only 1 i would put in ive emailed him to see if he can make bigger 1s.
    @ mark you wont need and glue the things stay on and ive used a jetter and road grime and snow and they are still on me caps.

17. Mark300zx

LOL I am talking about replacing the steering wheel badge with one :)

18. Slimy

I don't think he was concerned about it not coming off under normal circumstances, I think it was more referencing the discussion about possible injuries from airbag deployments. I can imagine a plastic disc being quite painful...

19. wayne lcr

yea and you was on about glueing it in place they come self adacive mate.