removing the wing mirror cap

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
hi guys i have some spare plasti dip and want to do my wing mirrors and it would be a lot easier
to spray them if i can take the red cover's off

has any one taken theres off if so how easy is it ?

had a quick goggle and no results came up for the new leon but is it like similar cars where they just pry off ?

cheers liam

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
Judging by the amount of people who have read this post, (127 at the time of me writing this), I'm guessing there are a few of us who would like the answer to this. I'm wanting to wrap mine.......:think:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Most mirror caps are clipped on the same way with 4-5 tabs holding the cover to the wing mirror.

I have not taken mine off yet, but if I had to guess, it would be, move the mirror glass as far right/left and up/down so you can get a small tool behind the glass.

There is usually a spring clip holding the glass mirror to the internal motor.
Pop the glass out and you should be able to unclip the cover clips from the inside of the mirror housing.

robbyd6

Apr 5, 2012
wirral, merseyside
Right,

Seen as somebody has asked the question and I had some black vinyl wrap sat in the garage that I was planning on using on my wing mirrors thought it was about time I got round to it. here's how I went about it:

E0B13444-E3C2-4571-BC27-A157C2C28A21_zpsefaggxry.jpg

First of all adjust the mirror so that there is space to get behind the mirror glass (make sure it is as shown in the pic and not with the gap nearer the window side of the mirror or you may damage the wires for the heated glass when removing it)

D07E9732-0D06-4E78-B109-ADF33F00CFD7_zpse14cbdid.jpg

I then simply get my thumb behind the glass and prise it off taking care to push/pull as close to the clips as I can.

4B167086-5E80-4C28-9B2D-64F4E2BE49CF_zpsotxvn0ny.jpg

With the glass removed the 2 wires need to be unplugged from the glass (I took note of which wire went where but not entirely sure if it matters seen as it's only a heating element)

1aebd713e3c4dd300eae28b0e633c99c_zps91e217d8.jpg

Once the glass is out of the way the 2 clips towards the top of the casing can be un clipped with a screwdriver (one of them is circled green in the pic but they are easy to spot as they should be the same colour as your mirror cover as opposed black like the rest of the casing) With these 2 clips undone then there is another small clip hiding away behind the pivot that holds the part of the cover that sits just below the LED strip (this is circled red in the pic) once you have pushed that clip with a screwdriver then prise off the lower part off the mirror casing (I used a thin plastic body filler scraper to prevent damaging the paint/ plastic)

Right now that is as far as I have got I haven't come to put them back on yet as I've just spent 2 hours of my evening wrestling with a sheet of vinyl wrap getting it to go around that stupidly awkward shape (I'm quite happy with it though for my 2nd time playing with vinyl wrap) just got to do the other one in the morning.......

6934C6AF-0BEA-4021-8175-253BC3A35C8E_zpshkrpvqdp.jpg

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Looks good and thanks for the pics !!

Mine are grey as part of the Titanium pack but I'd rather put white ones on (Nevada) - does anyone know if these come painted from the dealers ? Cheers.

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
looks very good :)

thank you for the pics and the advice on how to do it shall try get mine done this weekend

heliliam

Aug 11, 2013
looks very good :)

thank you for the pics and the advice on how to do it shall try get mine done this weekend

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
On my mirror glass the brown wire was towards the edge of glass which is different to yours so I agree - it can't make a lot of difference otherwise Seat would have poke yoke'd it with different sized spade connectors.

Changed my RHS mirror cap which was a bit fiddly I'll do the other side this afternoon.

Jamie555

Oct 21, 2014
I think the solid colours look good with different coloured wing mirrors like Black Leons with say Red Mirrors. But I think the colours like Red like mine look good with the black and red trim.. just that little bit under the mirror..

Last edited:

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Robby

Thanks for taking time to post the pics, you will have to show us the finished product.

Last edited: