Replace CD changer with iPod interface?

Woulda-Coulda

Hi - I'm after more thoughts and advice please!

My 2001 Leon S has a CD changer in (an optional extra I believe?) but at the moment the Aura V3 it has in doesn't work - I don't have the code, and the back of buttons 3 and 6 on the removeable panel are missing, so I couldn't put it in anyway!

I have two choices

1) Put the stereo from my old car in. It's a cheap Kenwood one that was in when I bought it, but it works ok. It will look messy though as the bit the kid calls "the stereo rounder" (the edge trim bit - her two-year-old's description is better than mine!) has cracked and keeps falling off.

It's also fairly basic I suppose - it has CD and radio, but no line in or ability to control the CD changer. It is, however, free (well, I think I'd need an ISO adapter?)

2) Get a new key pad and code for the Aura V3 that's there. I've no guarantee that it will work though - it's in SAFE mode a the moment but there is a little 'pop' when you turn it on so I guess it works.

This would mean I could get a tape adaptor and use my iPod in the car, which would be good.

I also noticed though that the CD changer controller ASTS001 (silver box wrapped in foam, behind the CD changer) has two phono cables going in and out aswell as the contro cable. Could I use those to conect he iPod? Obviously it wouldn't control it, but it would be neater than having a cable spilling out of the front of the cassette bit.

Or - is it possible to get some equivalent of the ASTS001 controller that will let me control an iPod with the Aura head unit?

Cheers

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Sounds to me like you've already got an aftermarket Sony CD changer (that's what the ASTS001 is for)

So either; bin the standard headunit, sell the ASTS001 and use the money to buy a cheap Sony headunit - and yes, you can swap/plug the phono leads into your iPod, but the CD changer will keep 'playing' CDs

or... buy another Leon headunit - don't spend money on a facia or code, the headunits are cheap enough.

Woulda-Coulda

Ah - thanks. I did think the install of the Sony changer looked a bit homespun. It's neat enough up front, but the sleeve it sits in inside the glovebox has been shortened with a hacksaw where you can't see it. It also have miles of excess phone cable, which I'm sure the bean-counters would have put a stop to!

So, what I want it: a stero that will run the CD changer, has DAB built in, and which can also control an iPod, preferably via a cable that comes fromt he back so I can keep it neat. And it should cost no more than £50 :)

<goes off to search eBay for people who have misspelled Sony>

Woulda-Coulda

LOL

Unfortunately Sony put a stop to CD changer control when they introduced the iPod interfaces :(

How utterly miserable of them.

I'm now looking out for a bargain on a Pioneer P77 as that was the stereo I wanted when they came out - simple and uncluttered. You can use them with an iPod with an expensive Pioneer adapter, or just use line in. You can add dab too.

Look out for a Sony CD changer on eBay if you're after one :)

Woulda-Coulda

Just to update this - I fixed the panel on the stereo (well, my brother did) by cutting a piece of plastic to fit behind the 3 button.

I left the radio on the other day, so it's now out of SAFE mode - I just need a code. Armed with the knowledge (from here, I think) that it says in the manual that SEAT will provide a new code for free, I rang my local dealer, who wanted £30 for it.

So I rang SEAT head office and they just told me to speak to the dealer and tell them head office will cover it - and so I am taking it in later this week to get the code read for nothing.

That's impressive customer service on an 11 year old car owned by someone who didn't buy it from new. For a very small cost to them, Seat have just recruited a new brand cheerleader :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.