replace license plate frame light

NLmaverick

Hi All,

I'm having a problem removing the license plate frame light.
Want to replace that for a white LED.
I cannot get it out though. I tried with a screwdriver between the sided but still won't come loose. I noticed on one of the small sides there is some room between the bumper frame and the frame and there is some sort of metal clip. That should be the key to get it out but before i start to get angry and ruin the bumpers paint, i hope someone can give me some tips :)

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i got mine out i used a flat screw driver on the right hand side and just ease it out

there is a metal spring sort of thing on the right of the holder that keeps it in place get the right hand side out first and it should come out, you have to use a bit of force though

NLmaverick

Yeey i got it out :)
Keyword is violence lol and you have to get the screwdriver behind the little metal plate like dave said.
Just to let you know how it is fitted in:

SNC00122.jpg

NLmaverick

no sorry don't have a pic yet but it looks awesome in white :)

not sure what model fr_power has but with my new ibi you cannot take only the plastic out only the full thing and it is not the interior light but a w5w (t10) bulb in there.
Good luck :)

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
Just yanked my holder out and replaced the bulb with an led sidelight bulb I had lying around looks great nice White light but it doesn't diffuse as well as the normal bulb just a streak straight down, defo illegal! Back to the drawing board…

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I saw a BMW with white lights illuminating the number plate. Think it was a new 3 series. Have a look what lights they take and see it they will work/fit as it was a definite white well diffused light..

Dec 3, 2009
Hmmm i just used the LED Festoon one (WHITE), it says on the manual W5W which is not.....

I haven't got stoped by police or anything. so it's all good! :D

NLmaverick

@ mardon, the BMW has the complete units changed to go with LED since its factory default now. so same leds won't give the same diffusion in the stock ibi fitting.

i think the smd's with leds on the side will do better. though in my opinion they should have made the ibi with two lights shining on the license plate instead of one. looks better imho

pickett2790

which bulb will fit

I want to change my license plate bulb to a bright white LED. I have been told loads of different things by different people - like you can use side light bulbs? or i need a festoon bulb not LED?
im really confused as to which is correct now after reading this forum!
Also looking on ebay/amazon etc when i search bulbs for seat ibiza 08 -onwards. they show 2 bulbs and my plate only has one!
Can anyone help and send me a link to which one is correct please??

minnnt

Aug 3, 2013
Any 501 type bulb will fit. The higher spec models such as the FR, Boc and Cupra have 2 bulbs where as the lower spec models have 1. I used a big massive led which has about 30 little smd's on it and it didn't fit in the light properly so I just taped it up and clipped it back in and it is super bright.

G'luck!

ALAN H

MRFR.
Sep 25, 2013
Yes I need to know this,specifically for an FR but bet it is the same throughout the VW SEAT range.
It says its a set of 2 though so should be ok.Worth a punt I reckon.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.