Replace Media System Plus (2014) with Seat CarPlay compatible head unit

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Wait so this coding can be done with VCDS?

Don't know, don't have it, probably the best bet. If it was obviously easy someone on here with VCDS/VAGCOM would have said already.

Got my rear cam coded with it. However I was one of the first because it wasn't fully explained by Ross tech.

German guy, formentioned is the one to ask.

Deleted member 98136

Been looking at the range of head-units branded Pumpkin, here again appears to be a head-unit which offers all that most of us want.

After searching their suitable models listings, I note that they would appear to fit Leons up to 2013 only.

Has anyone had any luck with this brand in a Mk3 ? - Appear to be reasonably priced too.

Last edited by a moderator:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Been looking at the range of head-units branded Pumpkin, here again appears to be a head-unit which offers all that most of us want.

After searching their suitable models listings, I note that they would appear to fit Leons up to 2013 only.

Has anyone had any luck with this brand in a Mk3 ? - Appear to be reasonably priced too.

I take that as up to Mk3

Assume it's the older head unit style like in a Mk2 ie large double Din size.

With aftermarket ones you gain the toys but loose the settings and intergration of the car through the original screen no?

It would have to be a small single Din unit in the gove box and integrate with the car and screen or a replacement screen too surely?

They are a bit more complicated than years ago when you could swap a head unit and maybe add an adaptor for use with factory steering wheel controls or small screen display.

Last edited:

SeatJay

Jul 25, 2015
I can't speak for the Leon but I have the Wince unit in my Altea from Pumpkin and it has integrated with the steering wheel controls and reads off the canbus about battery life, fuel in the tank, seat belts, handbrake, mileage, rpm etc.

Mine also connected plug and play. As I said I can't speak for your Leon's but worth asking the question they do have fairly good support and will likely be able to let you know.

Deleted member 98136

I can't speak for the Leon but I have the Wince unit in my Altea from Pumpkin and it has integrated with the steering wheel controls and reads off the canbus about battery life, fuel in the tank, seat belts, handbrake, mileage, rpm etc.

Mine also connected plug and play. As I said I can't speak for your Leon's but worth asking the question they do have fairly good support and will likely be able to let you know.

Thanks for that, sounds promising, will drop them a email, if they don't yet have a fully compatable unit can only hope they're working on it. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/images/styles/SeatCupra/smilies/smile.gif

jamrolu

Oct 3, 2015
Manchester, England
Hi everyone - did anyone get anywhere with this? I have a 2013/63 FR 184 TDI and would love to swap in CarPlay compatibility - I too had the helpful reply at service of 'buy a new car' :blink:

Deleted member 98136

Re my post #45, Sent an email to Pumkin over two weeks ago - up to now I've had no response from them.

Deleted member 98136

No nothing - have spent hours trawling the internet in the hope of finding a suitable fully functioning after market unit, but had no luck yet I'm afraid.

RayFR

Feb 21, 2016
Ireland
I would love to upgrade my unit too but it seems the factory units might be a bit more complicated than just changing out the units, even if you have the aux/usb in the cubby below the heating controls (and not in glove box) the usb block and connector need to be replaced due to needing a specific chip which older versions didn't have (i can dig out old and new part numbers if anyone really needs them), unsure if cars with the connector inside the glove box would need a full new loom or not, too many variables to start forking out money on and maybe not getting the desired result.

Searched for options too and best option (money vs result) seems to be going with aftermarket carplay/mirrorlink compatible head unit and the connects2 infodapter.

Connects2 infodapter allows for steering controls and gives you your menu's for settings and heating controls etc, it sends a video feed to the headunit by faking the reverse camera, so the head unit has to have reverse camera input.

I can't post url's as it's my first post on the thread but if you search "leon infodapter" in youtube the first 2 video's show it in action. It's also on connect2 product site part number "CTUST01"

blacky89

Apr 28, 2016
Ireland
I'm not sure if I'm off topic but I'm just wondering am I able to play videos from my ipod through my radio on my mk3 leon 2014. I've seen on YouTube you can with a certain cable or SD card but I can't seem to locate the right cable or file is unplayable through sd card. Would I need advanced radio (sat nav etc).
Thanks

RayFR

Feb 21, 2016
Ireland
I'm not sure if I'm off topic but I'm just wondering am I able to play videos from my ipod through my radio on my mk3 leon 2014. I've seen on YouTube you can with a certain cable or SD card but I can't seem to locate the right cable or file is unplayable through sd card. Would I need advanced radio (sat nav etc).
Thanks

The red collar cable allows album artwork and video. I've used it on my iPod touch gen 3 and 4, works perfect for artwork and videos. Also works great with the official apple adapter on my iPhone 6, even displays artwork and allows steering controls with Apple Music (but haven't tried video with the adapter yet) the cable I got was the 000051446M

There are a number of threads regarding the different cables here on the site if you want to have a quick search

blacky89

Apr 28, 2016
Ireland
The red collar cable allows album artwork and video. I've used it on my iPod touch gen 3 and 4, works perfect for artwork and videos. Also works great with the official apple adapter on my iPhone 6, even displays artwork and allows steering controls with Apple Music (but haven't tried video with the adapter yet) the cable I got was the 000051446M

There are a number of threads regarding the different cables here on the site if you want to have a quick search

Thanks for that. I'm new to the page so trying to find my way around things. Found a thread there so hopefully will sort something just not entirely sure my ipod classic 6g will work though.

Deleted member 98136

Questions -

After reading thro' various threads about displaying video etc on your head unit, am I correct in assuming that this is possible only with an appropiate model iPod + correct cable ?

And as such no other makes will do this ?

blacky89

Apr 28, 2016
Ireland
Questions -

After reading thro' various threads about displaying video etc on your head unit, am I correct in assuming that this is possible only with an appropiate model iPod + correct cable ?

And as such no other makes will do this ?

As far as I know from both cables mentioned it will only work with a certain IPOD. I questioned a manufacture this morning about the 000051446M cable that it wont work on my classic 6G which im pretty bummed about!

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
Hi I have a unit from 2016 Leon tdi but I am scared of trying, I have both the screen and the unit this one have one cable more than mine I seen it,
I been looking for anyone who had upgraded but cant find, I am sure Dave can sort the loom but I am not connecting until know it works, last time I messed with this unit car showed huge triangle on dashboard and seat charged £179 for the old unit to work and they say this unit they need the car for all day and it cost £483+vat this new unit needs to be configured to the car you cant just swap it will show malfunction on dashboard

Deleted member 98136

It would appear that ivanman636, posting on another thread, has found a decent spec navidroid unit ( NOTE this is only to replace a 5" unit however ),

It would appear to contain all the original units features.

I'm going to email them to see if they do a unit of equal specifications to replace my 5.8" unit.

If I was to lose DAB I wouldn't be too bothered - more interested about gaining the ability to get a decent satnav system, ability to easily wire in a reversing camera, watch videos, gain mirrorlink plus the bonus of a higher definition screen.

The description in english is towards the bottom of the page :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Navidroid...4-4-GPS-7-HD-BT-WI-FI-Quad-Core-/222025843214

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
It would appear that ivanman636, posting on another thread, has found a decent spec navidroid unit ( NOTE this is only to replace a 5" unit however ),

I'm going to email them to see if they do a unit of equal specifications to replace my 5.8" unit.

If I was to lose DAB I wouldn't be too bothered - more interested about gaining the ability to get a decent satnav system, ability to easily wire in a reversing camera, watch videos, gain mirrorlink plus the bonus of a higher definition screen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Navidroid...4-4-GPS-7-HD-BT-WI-FI-Quad-Core-/222025843214

seen the eBay advert it works on normal leons, don't thing it will work in fr because of options but I want android radio

paulolourenco76

Apr 12, 2015
Edinburgh

So I looked up the website for this company (taken from the name and email address) and found this. Looks to use the original screen and seems to be an addon. Means you keep the original unit, but gain the android functionality. Looks promising:
http://www.vag-navisystems.com/navigation-radio-installation-accesories/2214/touch-navigation-system-navitouch-android-seat-with-5865-easyconnect/1141?en=1
scroll to the bottom of the page there is a video

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.