Replace or skim discs?

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I replaced my front discs late last year with brembo ones from GSF. They have warped I think because I had one of the pads on the wrong side for a few weeks :doh:

I can get new ones from David @ Sere for £49.50 a pair, or there is a company up the road who have a special machine to skim them while fitted to the car for much the same price.

What should I do??

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
New ones :)

Are you sure thats the right price for yours? I got quoted £100 ish from dave when i needed mine replacing, or do you not have 312mm discs? Or maybe not a cupra?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
They have warped I think because I had one of the pads on the wrong side for a few weeks :doh:

I've got to ask, how do you mean 'the wrong side'? As far as I know in most cases all four pads are the same, so they can go in either side?

Or do you mean you actually put the pad in with the backing plate facing the disc?:whistle:

I'm also wondering how that can skim the discs while they're on the car, that doesn't quite make sense to me?

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
The 4 pads aren't all the same - the metal clips are very similar but slightly different, hence I put them in wrong in the half light I did the job in lol. I guess the clip help one of the pads in slightly skew-if and gradually led to warping :(

And gezmeister - I couldnt tell you the size, but they are certainly vented. I bought the brembo ones (circa £100 a pair) coz I hoped they were going to last a bit longer! That is the only reason I was considering getting them skimmed

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I'm also wondering how that can skim the discs while they're on the car, that doesn't quite make sense to me?

They said it was a very expensive new piece of kit. He also said the majority of the cost is labour to set the alignment up correctly rather than the time spent skimming the discs

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members