replace turbo on 2.0 tdi bkd engine

slippers

well after some wrangling i've managed to get a replacement turbo from the warranty firm
main dealer quoted £225 + vat to fit it though
some indies are funny about fitting customer supplied parts incase of come backs
fairly handy with a spanner and got access to 4 poster ramps
is this a pig of a job to install ?

by the way the car is a 54 reg Altea Sport DSG

any comments / advice appreciated :)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
About the easiest turbo to change in the whole range. Once the exhaust is out the way everything is done from underneath from the back up through the tunnel.

slippers

had a look tonight am i right in think the exhaust is only clamped on by one allen key with a clamp ?

the turbo seems to be secured to the engine block by one bolt / bracket seen from the bottom
the exhaust is also secured to the body of the car by a bracket which must also secure the turbo in place

there seems to be little room to access from the top, even with the air pipe removed

thanks was planning to have a go at this on thursday

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
You don't do anything from the top other than the oil feed pipe which should be changed.

There is the one clamp on the downpipe which is a 5mm Allen key, two 6mm allen key bolts going onto the egr cooler, then the oil return pipe and the manifold bolts which are all 12mm, eight of them two per port but as the 2.0 bolts are diagonally set it's easier than a 1.9. Also change the oil and filter

slippers

you sir are most helpful, thanks for this :)
will get a oil feed pipe
will also be changing oil and filter as part of the job

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
You will need

Manifold gasket
Manifold nuts x 8
Oil return gasket (on the turbo)
EGR pipe gasket x2
Downpipe gasket
Downpipe clamp
Oil feed pipe
Oil filter
Oil.

Hope that helps.

cus

... Vag only!
Feb 8, 2004
Middlesbrough
www.nemm.co.uk
hey there, old thread.. but i'm replacing the turbo on my a3.

one question, the oil feed pipe.. now it says these need replacing, but why?

surely if there is no damage/bends to the exterior, and its clear inside, is it okay to use?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green

surely if there is no damage/bends to the exterior, and its clear inside, is it okay to use?

just had the same situation and the reason the pipes need changing i was told by the workshop is they tend to get blocked and stop oil getting to the turbo & that is usually what causes the problem in the first place

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com

if it fails through oil starvation in the near future i.e under manufacturers warrenty and the parts supplier finds out a new oil feed pipe wasnt fitted then it'll void the parts warrenty.