Replacement key.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
My 3 button key broke today (the metal bit that attaches to the key ring), are the aftermarket ones on eBay any good or is it worth getting an original?
The blade and electrics are fine.

Thanks.

Last edited:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I have an ebay jobby here and replaced ok for £7. The key blade from the old key did not fit so had to get the new blade cut £9. However you can swap over the whole key blade and knuckle/spring if it's not battered like mine was. Tricky part was removing the old transponder. New key came with replacement badge.

Last edited:

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
I've also successfully done this. The blade transferred ok so no need for me to get anything cut. Also, the transponder was fairly loose rather than glued in and just fell out. Don't break this or it gets a bit more tricky (new transponder / programming etc - I think).

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
I dnt have a spare key and was woundering if i could get a key blade cut and use that without the fob . My old cupra had a spare that never had a fob u could unlock by key but u had to turn ignition on within 30 seconds or the alarm would go off . Thinking about it i dnt remember seein a lock on any of the mk2 doors

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
I dnt have a spare key and was woundering if i could get a key blade cut and use that without the fob . My old cupra had a spare that never had a fob u could unlock by key but u had to turn ignition on within 30 seconds or the alarm would go off . Thinking about it i dnt remember seein a lock on any of the mk2 doors

My second key is just a key, no remote locking on it. And like you say you have 30 seconds to get to the ignition before the alarm!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members