Replacement Plugs?

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Hi All,
Seen in many peoples signature they have replaced the plugs in their MK2 Leons.

Looks like the preferred choice is - NGK Iridium plugs.

1. What are the plugs fitted as standard on the Cupra?
2. Any noticeable performance gains, smoothness to be had replacing these / benefits?
3. NGK Iridium plugs the best?

Cheers

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Can't seem to find the correct partno for the cupra 2.0TSFI engine (k1 year 2008).

I've been through the NGK part finder on their site but slighlty worried as the engine models listed don't seem to tally with the BWJ engine I have as this code isn't listed under the 2.0T engines?

I'm looking for the iridium IX plugs.

Part no anyone?

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
My car is still on its original plugs 31000 miles on and have no problems. They will however be swapped out next week but I am not sure which ones they will be fitting although I know they will be uprated over what I have.

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
No probs :)

Quick question: Can anyone tell me if putting colder plugs into my standard K1 would be ok?

It won't affect performance or anything will it?

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
No probs :)

Quick question: Can anyone tell me if putting colder plugs into my standard K1 would be ok?

It won't affect performance or anything will it?

My daughters b/f is planning on doing this on his 200sx. He said something about needing to do another mod first? I may have mis-heard. I'll check with him when he comes back later and let you know if it might apply to our units :)

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Standard plugs are o.k. for standard cars (they come from bosch and I can look up the partnumber).

First thing I learned (at my own cost) is to change to colder plugs after tuning.
You won't gain and power but it will prevent serious damage caused by exploding/overheated plugs.
I would advise Denso (ik or better fk series, I don't like Ngk for severall reasons) and would pick a grade 20 for standard cars and choose nr. 22 for stage 1 and higher.
Only diffence you will notice that starting will be a bit more sluggish when cold and the car seems to rev easier.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Been running the upgraded cooler plugs for a year now with no issues. When first fitted it did seem to improve the idle, and throttle response seemed a bit better too ( could have been the placibo effect though)

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
My daughters b/f is planning on doing this on his 200sx. He said something about needing to do another mod first? I may have mis-heard. I'll check with him when he comes back later and let you know if it might apply to our units :)

Said he needed colder plugs to deal with the extra turbo boost.

Basically I think colder plugs are only worth it if the car is highly modified or at minimum running a stage 1 re-map otherwise stick with standard.

I have my NGK Iridiums for 'modified' car - level 7 on order didnt consider the highly modded ones.

Will let you know if I detect any difference but considering these will most probably go in at the same time as an ITG intake findings will be swallowed up by the gain of the intake!

fyfe9

Lurker
Jan 30, 2007
Aberdeen
That's great thanks for that, I did have a feeling they were best suited for modded cars. Guess I'll have to wait till I'm nearer stage 2!

Let me know what you think of the car once you get the intake installed ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members