Replacing a Toledo

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The Sport Pack

I've been looking for information about the Sport pack that's applied to the TDI 150 Toledo. Seems the dampers might be Bilstein, the suspension is lowered 15mm (I can't see any difference from my old car, but the wheels are different and 15mm isn't very far), there are stiffer anti-roll measures front and back (the back one is contained in the axle beam as far as I know) and the springs are stiffer.

It works very well and feels good.

Would the steering rack rate have been changed or the power steering assistance reduced? It feels firmer and much less wooly than the old car.

The brakes also need a firmer push, or so it seems, which could be down to a change in the vacuum assistance, or just to different calipers (FN3 rather than FS-III).

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Would the steering rack rate have been changed or the power steering assistance reduced? It feels firmer and much less wooly than the old car.

The brakes also need a firmer push, or so it seems, which could be down to a change in the vacuum assistance, or just to different calipers (FN3 rather than FS-III).

The lack of 'wooliness' may just be the age of the bushes compared to your last car, its what I felt before I replaced mine.

As for the brakes, a different brake pad compound would give a different 'feel' to the brakes, or again it could just be that the brake fluid is newer and less spongy.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Different wheels+tyres will make some of the difference.

TDI 110 195/65/R15 ET38
TDI 150 205/55/R16 ET42

The center of the tread patch is 4mm closer to the center of the car: as yet I've no idea whether that makes it closer or further away from the steering axis.

michaelg1001

B5 S4 Avant
Jun 24, 2008
Sheffield
smart looking car you have there mate! I had both a 110 then switched to a 150 (in silver too!) a couple of years ago, without a doubt the best car iv ever had! wish i didnt have to sell it, but i had no money for car insurance :( had mine remapped so it was a proper Q car, putting out 190bhp, pissing Type R drivers off on a regular basis :D my cousin's got it now though, he's on here somewhere too. no doubt if you look at my posts and topics you will find some pics :) got a 150 Bora now but its just not the same...

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Since it's more or less a Cupra TDI without the bling I can see why you might find insurance expensive (you were a student at the time, I think?).

I'm very pleased with it, and don't feel the need to change anything about it. I've always liked the shape, I feel no need to lower it (the Sport suspension works very well, lowering would not improve it) or change the wheels.

There's some evidence of slight boost leakage - oil weeping from the lower boost hose joints. I will get a set of new seals and clips and fit them when the weather turns a bit more kind.

The performance is in the same league as my old Mk.1 Golf GTI, which was a much lighter car of course. The Toledo has all the toys as well, comfort and performance.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Actually there is one change I will make at the next opportunity. When I need new disks I'll go for 312mm disks rather than the 288mm ones . All that's needed to make that work is a different backplate, holding the caliper to the hub. The calipers themselves are the same.

More braking is always good.

michaelg1001

B5 S4 Avant
Jun 24, 2008
Sheffield
Yeah I was a student, came to the end of uni, so no job, no more student loan, no money :( oil seeping from boost pipes are a common thing I have noticed on all the TDi engines I've had, although the effect on performance I have found is minimal. When I had my Toledo mapped, it was putting out 158bhp as standard, so I think you should just keep an eye on them and like you said, replace the seals when the weather is a bit better.

Yeah I'd go for 312s, I put those on both the Toledo and my Bora. When you get them get the carriers from a breakers rather than any forum, I paid £30 rather than 50/60 quid you sometimes see them advertised for on places like edition

Last edited:

juneau

Dec 29, 2010
Midlands
Nice Toledo mate. I was considering getting one myself but was surprised at how much rarer they are than the Leon

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
There are very few Toledos compared to the number of Leons in circulation. But I knew it was what we wanted, so kept looking (helped by a few on the forum). Well worth it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise