Replacing Hazard Light

ollyjones

Hey all,

Hopefully someone out there will be able to help.

My hazard switch on out 2005 Seat Altea does not work and so I need to replace it.

Does anyone know how to access the switch to be able to swap it over? I have tried through the gear lever hole but it doesn't seem a big enough gap to removed the switch and then re-connect up a new one.

Any advise would really be appreciated.

Thanks

ollyjones

You gotta remove the centre console mate.

Bugger, don't suppose you know if there is a guide kicking around that will help me as I don't have a clue where to start. I have tried searching but can't find anything.

Is it a big job to do this? It's due an MOT in a month so I need to get it sorted by then. If it's going to be an arse of a job I may have to get a local Indie to do it.

Dammit, I thought chaging a hazard switch would be simple!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Central console, removing

console.gif

Note: Before disconnecting the connectors, mark them to avoid confusion when refitting.

Before working on the electrical system, disconnect the battery earth cable.

When the battery is reconnected, check the vehicle equipment (radio, clock, window risers), following the indications in the Workshop Manual and/or the → Operating Instructions.

– Move front seats as far back as possible.
– Switch off ignition and all electr. loads.
– Remove ignition key.
– Put on the hand brake.
– Disconnect the vehicle battery → Starter motor, voltage supply; Rep. Gr.27.
– Unscrew bolt -13 -.
– Using the lever -U 30800-, loosen the side cover from the centre console -2-.
– Unscrew bolts -7- (2x).
– Detach covers -5- (2x) using the lever -U 30800-and loosen bolts -6- (2x).
– Remove side hand grips -12- (2x).
– Detach cover from switch -4- using the lever -U 30800- and disconnect the connectors.
– Remove hand brake cover -10- using lever -U 30800-.
– Remove the guard for the gear knob → Chapter.
– Detach rear console cover -8- using the lever -A 71101-and depending upon model, disconnect the connector from the voltage supply.
– Unscrew bolts -9- (2x).
– Before removing the central console -1- disconnect the switch connector to the hazard warning lights-3- and depending upon the equipment fitted, that of the CD charger.
– To remove the central console -1- turn it in the direction of the -arrow-.

ollyjones

Wow, probably a bit beyond my ability then.

Thanks for posting such a detailed explanation.

Do you know roughly how long this would take a dealer to do as I think that is going to have to be the route I take?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
fab guide viking , tbh it not as bad as it looks 10 screws and a bit of brute force with a trim puller and its probably quite quick to do

odds on the screws are t20 or 25

all cars are now made to be put or thumped together quickly so usually come apart the same way

a dealer would want guess at least a couple of hours to do this

mm

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.