Replacing the bulb behind the heater controls

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
Hi guys, new to the forum.
I have a '98 Ibiza 1.9D, [64bhp of pure power LOL!]

Anyway, the red light that goes on behind the fan speed/temp./air direction knobs when the car lights go on no longer works. So i assume it is fused.
Id like to know if anyone has any advice on how to get at it?
I have the 3 knobs covers off, and the facia off, but no sign of the bulb!

Is it behind the middle one? Can i just pull it out? I tried a bit but no luck, i dont want to force it and break it.

dirtbiker

Dec 28, 2006
Southampton / Nottingham
What you need to do is take off the cover around the knobs (just levers off). This should then give you access to six screws; four to hold the knobs in place and two to hold your electric window switch panel (or little cubby hole, not sure which it is on your car)

Undoing all of these screws should let you move the heater controls assembly out and the bulb is in a white plastic housing. Should be pretty obvious one it's in bits!

Kai_1600

Shallow
Dec 10, 2005
Manchester
What you need to do is take off the cover around the knobs (just levers off). This should then give you access to six screws; four to hold the knobs in place and two to hold your electric window switch panel (or little cubby hole, not sure which it is on your car)

Undoing all of these screws should let you move the heater controls assembly out and the bulb is in a white plastic housing. Should be pretty obvious one it's in bits!

Brilliant, i can retrieve my wing mirror moving thing from where it decided to hide behind the console :p

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the fascia is just clipped in you need to get something flat under it to lever it off on the 4 corners - pretty crude but works

the inside clear optic pieces will more likely go flying but easy to clip back in (glued mine)

undo the 2 screws either side below to release the switch/mirror panel

now you will see the bare controls with a screw in each corner

undo them and push the heater controls in against its cables and manouver it down so you can see the rear of it

your bulb is under a white shroud in the centre that clips in either side

a small push in 286 1.2w bulb

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
cool.
i had the four screws off already, i tried the two holding the cubby hole but they were hard to get off, but ill give it another go now that i know im suppose to take that bit off.
ill let you know how i get on!

SKOT

Cool as i gotta do this job aswell. Think i will give it a go 2moz.

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
Having problems, my cubby doesnt want to come off. Screws just wont budge. And i fear if i force it ill just shatter it to bits. I have however taken the radio out, so i can kinda reach it. But i cant really see what im doing. Is it just the big white coloured thing i take off? Will it pull out easily?

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
Got the white cover pulled out through the radio hole. Bulb replaced and have it back to being a poorly lit centre console once again!
Thanks for all the help.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Got the white cover pulled out through the radio hole. Bulb replaced and have it back to being a poorly lit centre console once again!
Thanks for all the help.

changing all mine and switches to white for a change

bored with the red *dim* glow

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
Mine has gone aswell. Could it be replaced with an LED like you can with the push in sidelights? Wont make much difference I suppose, but if I was replacing it anyway?

From what i heard LED is more for looking straight on, i.e it wont project light in as wide of an angle and as a result it may not light up the two side knobs as well as the regular bulb-and as we know the console doesnt light up that well anyway. But i could be completly wrong about this.

If you try it let us know what the result is.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
If you try it let us know what the result is.

good man - i'll keep an eye open for that

just got some standard bulbs at work that are coloured too so ill try the same on all of em and get some pics

i'll check the list tomorrow and see if theress a brighter equivalent to the 1.2w as mine currently has the pins pulled out and piggy backed on to the 1st one to run 2 bulbs

personally for where and how its mounted i might just drill it out and fit a larger 501 5w bulb in instead as i have various bulbholders kicking about