jezyg

Retro fit auto lights

Jhunter_83

Jun 25, 2011
Newcastle

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
All installed, literally the quickest mod to do (when I had instructions). Not working yet but hopefully by later on it will

I thought mine was broke initially, but after a few hours it worked like a treat, I assume the sensor need to some light/power...

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
I popped round to jezg's house today for advice on fitting the auto switch and he only went and fitted it for me in less than 10 minutes. It works like a dream and the wiring is really discrete.
Thanks again chap, it was good to meet you.

Reactions: jezyg

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I popped round to jezg's house today for advice on fitting the auto switch and he only went and fitted it for me in less than 10 minutes. It works like a dream and the wiring is really discrete.
Thanks again chap, it was good to meet you.

No worries, getting slicker on my second go! Was great to meet in such a small world... :beer:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Just received mine today.. Opened up the package to check contents and all is good, except I didn't get any paperwork/instructions.. Not really after fitting instructions but instructions on how to adjust the time delay from normal to tunnel.. I.E. I want them to come in 1 sec, and not the default 3sec... (wonder if it's on ebay description page)..

Is this easy to adjust... Is it a toggle on the switch itself or have I missed something simple.

Sorry for the simple question but I was running out the door to work so didn't really have time to have a good look at switch... So thought I'd just ask here in passing....
TIA....

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Just received mine today.. Opened up the package to check contents and all is good, except I didn't get any paperwork/instructions.. Not really after fitting instructions but instructions on how to adjust the time delay from normal to tunnel.. I.E. I want them to come in 1 sec, and not the default 3sec... (wonder if it's on ebay description page)..

Is this easy to adjust... Is it a toggle on the switch itself or have I missed something simple.

Sorry for the simple question but I was running out the door to work so didn't really have time to have a good look at switch... So thought I'd just ask here in passing....
TIA....

You adjust by twisting to lights to auto then on and back again apparently???

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Well, I've just temporarily fitted mine. Ran the wire down side of dash and taped it to dash in corner.. In the testing phase for a while... Why? I just don't trust stuff that comes direct from China these days... Yes I'm aware most stuff does come from China anyhow.....

Also I'm curious as how sensitive the photo cell is.. Like whether I need to put it behind a dark lens to force the lights to come on sooner rather than when it's too dark....

I'm carring the original switch to swap over should I have any issues while out and about.. I do a lot of night time driving...

So I threw a black cloth over the sensor after running car for 5 mins and lights didn't come on.... Which doesn't impress me. It was a thick black cloth... No light would've got through...
Anyways, I'm working late tonight so we'll see if it comes on when I enter the works multi storey car park( my other cars did) and on my way home..

Once again though, thanks to the OP @jezyg for this great Mod!

Update : Well the pessimist in me has been put at ease.... Working great. Came on under a bridge, and in multi story car park... Don't think I need to mess with sensitivity... So on weekend I'll route the wire to centre speaker grill...

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Well, I've just temporarily fitted mine. Ran the wire down side of dash and taped it to dash in corner.. In the testing phase for a while... Why? I just don't trust stuff that comes direct from China these days... Yes I'm aware most stuff does come from China anyhow.....

Also I'm curious as how sensitive the photo cell is.. Like whether I need to put it behind a dark lens to force the lights to come on sooner rather than when it's too dark....

I'm carring the original switch to swap over should I have any issues while out and about.. I do a lot of night time driving...

So I threw a black cloth over the sensor after running car for 5 mins and lights didn't come on.... Which doesn't impress me. It was a thick black cloth... No light would've got through...
Anyways, I'm working late tonight so we'll see if it comes on when I enter the works multi storey car park( my other cars did) and on my way home..

Once again though, thanks to the OP @jezyg for this great Mod!

Update : Well the pessimist in me has been put at ease.... Working great. Came on under a bridge, and in multi story car park... Don't think I need to mess with sensitivity... So on weekend I'll route the wire to centre speaker grill...

Fab news, mine did not work straightaway either, few hours later in the dark worked a treat and had no issues since fitting - as agree on the made in China comment, some stuff made in China can be very good and also some very poor...

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
What with the weather nice today I decided to go ahead and mount my photo cell under the centre speaker grill... Now this is just me, I don't mind drilling into plastic bits and pieces and making holes. As I always drive my cars into the ground before chopping them in..

So with that said I removed the head unit....
948cdfebdcf09d3c3f5c9c64f912ed52.jpg

Then run the wire from switch to this corner..

cbc924c58a699d29c9d2f00e2342bbc4.jpg

Pop the grill off and removed the temp cut out...

72e5ad60cc6ba1801be3da06dc03bbab.jpg

I then flattened some of the speaker grill webs and drilled a 4.7mm hole...

01fb6ecc153d89a41d0548edb07167a3.jpg

Then I hot glued the photo cell to the bottom of the grill.

afe2765ef804d44dd634be6afd4973c7.jpg

Then popped the grill back on.

b36fc5d16cdf2725cdc01da52e9ff94f.jpg

7a545ce68dcaffe5285fbe0dd8ba6f91.jpg
f894cabf7ab62d1ed2a00ae21cb51119.jpg

And what it looks like from outside...

b196ee1778adf0ad107e6b7bd68e540d.jpg

If you go looking for it it's obvious, lol, but otherwise its a desgrete little hole.

Like I said, definitely not for everyone to be drilling holes in dash grill, but I don't mind....

Last edited:

mungo650

Nov 5, 2017
Replaced my light switch this evening and have to say it was very easy. Routed the sensor wire behind the trim and for the sensor I didn't stick it to the trim as it would not be angled to the light correctly, I firmly pushed it into the trim slot for a neat fit.The sensor works perfectly when a thumb placed over the sensor. Top mod.:coolthumb

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I've decided to order one for the Leon. His lordship will however have to wait until his birthday in June before
he gets the surprise - and no doubt muggins here will have to fit it, (using jezyg's final method methinks)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.