1. Hi Guest. We've recently updated our forum rules. Please take some time to review them. You can read the new rules here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Returning suspension to standard (Cupra 6L)

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4' started by Russ220, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Russ220

Russ220 Active Member

I've been sourcing parts to revert my Cupra back to standard ride height/suspension and ditching the coilovers. The number of those narrow 'dome' speed bumps appearing my way are making my commute unbearable. Tbh the coilovers were already on the car when I bought it so no major worries in ditching them.
    The only thing I'm struggling to source is a set of standard Cupra springs, if anyone has any suggestions as to anywhere to look? Obviously not fussed about being new or used, genuine or OE equivalent, either is good enough, just not lowering springs

Any help is greatly appreciated

2. R3k1355

R3k1355 Active Member

The Cupra springs are different to the FR ones? They were already stiffer Sachs ones IIRC?

3. mgrays

mgrays Active Member

I replaced both mine at 7 years old and 80k miles. Could not find them aftermarket then so the dealer did them for £50.17+Vat at the time. That was 7 years ago. Check the strut top bearing while you are in there.. I had to do mine about the same time and that could be what broke the springs.

4. James St Patrick

James St Patrick Active Member

I got some stock shocks with 30mm Vogtland springs on them, I'll straight swap for your coilovers if you want?

Need to be able to adjust ride height on my Cupra when I'm carrying weight in the rear.

5. Russ220

Russ220 Active Member

Cheers for the replies, I have no doubt the top mounts will need doing for sure.

6. Russ220

Russ220 Active Member

Perfect!! Drop me a private message .just need to arrange a weekend we can do the swap as it's my only car

7. Russ220

Russ220 Active Member

I finally managed to get this sorted. The ride is so much better, it isn't crashy anymore and still handles pretty well, more importantly I've got some ground clearance. Weirdly it's considerably better than my pals FR TDi too, the dampers seem to actually work and absorb the bumps!

I went for a set of 9N Polo GTi OE springs and shocks

8. '& Son' managed

'& Son' managed Third Party

Useful info for Mk.4 Ibiza pilots looking at options.

9. R3k1355

R3k1355 Active Member

Thats because the Seat shocks are notoriously stiffer than anything else, so effectively you've just fitted softer suspension.