Reversing camera advice

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75330&item=7974276317&rd=1

Ok i have a Pioneer Avic X1R and im after a reversing camera but u im not paying the £150 they want for it. What i have been told is that i can use any camera system is this correct? If so what do i need and where’s a good place to get one? I have searched ebay and the net but they all seem to be kits (including monitor) I found the one above but they don’t accept pay pal. Does the spec look good? I want a good quality colour unit that’s good in the dark as well as they day.

Please help!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
scotty, on my website is a pic of the one i am going to be using.

Highly recommend b&w over colour, unless you can find one thats good in very dark conditions that is.
Mine cost me £20 off ebay, is b&w and can get to 0.04lux (almost pitch black) without being totally useless.
Going to be fitting it at some point soon - got all the bits.

If you have a standard composite input then mine will work fine, or similar bullet-type camera available off ebay.
Where you gonna put yours anyway?

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
System: PAL OR NTSC
Colour: full colour
Sensor: OV 1/3 inch CCD
Pixs: 512 H X 582 V
Resolution ratio: 420lines
Lowest luminosity: 0.01lux
Standard lens: f2.0 f=3.6mm
Electronic shutter: 1/50~1/10000seconds
Video output: 1Vp-p/75Ohm
Power source: DC12V/Max300mA
Size: 25MM(D) 54MM(L)

This colour one goes down to .01lux. So i take it thats better than the B+W one?

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
That one you list there from ebay will work, its the one myself, my brother and Russboy have fitted to our X1 systems.

If you want one thats great in the dark you need one with IR's which will be much bigger.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
I fitted mine in the diffuser bit of the bumper (same place as Russboy - he posted pics in your post the other day). TBH I think it needs a slightly better angled washer to improve the angle (still looking into). My brother had his mounted just above the number plate which gives a better angle but I didnt like this position as it was too obvious, mine is hidden.

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
The one you have shown in post 1, composite video is one cable + power is the other.

I just ran an iginition live to power it, earth was found in the boot - this way if I want to switch to the camera at anytime I can.

Just make sure you wire it up correclty to the reverse signal so it auto switches to it when putting into reverse. Think the cable is down the left hand passenger footwell somewhere - no idea which one though as I didnt fit mine.

Russboy

Nov 11, 2003
Surrey
Visit site
You can have it on as 2/3 of the screen with the map whilst driving along and when you whack it into reverse it goes full screen. Just connect it to the reverse light wire, there's one in the left parcel shelf support. Prob need a line tester to find it but it doesnt take long to do

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.