Reversing Light

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Thinking of replacing the single glow worm in the rear light cluster with a LED. Anyone know what's a good 'un. Needs max brightness as live in the sticks with no street lights anywhere.
Thanks for your help.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I only noticed it's not LED the other day when washing out some crud. I thing the fog on the other side needs doing too.

I swear it was advertised as 100% LED external lighting. ..

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
I only noticed it's not LED the other day when washing out some crud. I thing the fog on the other side needs doing too.

I swear it was advertised as 100% LED external lighting. ..
It's good marketing ;)
The only things LED on the rear are the sidelights, break lights and license plate lights.
Shame as the LED indicators on various Audi's do look smart and BRIGHT!

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for all the advice on this forum.

I have now plumped for replacing the reversing light with this item 1pc CREE 1156 BA15S P21W Xenon LED CANBUS REVERSE LIGHT BULB WHITE HIGH POWER 261169683340.

There are several like this ranging from£22.50 to £9.90 to £8.95. I went for the latter as they offer a refund if it doesn't work out. They are one of several companies that sell in the bottom range on Fleabay. They are all the same!

The bulb's circuit board has CREE on it but whether it is a CREE or not it is rated at 380 Lumens

I can only say that the difference is like night and day. Massive improvement so that I can recommend this minor upgrade without reservation.

Only regret is that the glowworm was evicted.

PS Don't forget to check the operation with the boot lid shut. ;)

I'd post some pics but photos of lights are notoriously unreliable and misleading but if you insist I could put up some before and afters

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
OK here we are then rcopus and just 'cos you put me onto the Ibiza thread. I have the DSG gearbox and unlike their reports of flickering with the DSG , I have none. so it's a win win

Here's the standard P21W bulb (AKA Glowworm)

Gko6Llu.jpg

and here's the LED as per my first post

G9YwfEm.jpg

Both are taken from the same distance and time of night for a best go at consistency

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Just went to fit the cree reverse light and he idiot sent me an offset pin version!

I have received the indicator leds and wil reverse the polarity tomorrow. Does anyone know if you remove the tail light part by undoing that hex nut under the removable carpet bit?

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Just went to fit the cree reverse light and he idiot sent me an offset pin version!

I have received the indicator leds and wil reverse the polarity tomorrow. Does anyone know if you remove the tail light part by undoing that hex nut under the removable carpet bit?

IIRC theres just 1 philips screw behind the carpet flap. The light housing is held in place with 2 nubbins (??!!) which slot into holes in the bodywork. I covered the edges of the bodywork in masking tape to protect it as it takes alot of force and twisting to get it out!

Check out my thread linked above of pics of the led bulbs I got. I couldn't find anyway to reverse the polarity when I took the bulb apart.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Thanks mate. Mine are the same. I noticed two wires running up the middle of the three side to the top pcp. I plan to just reroute those.

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
Just checked and mine have 2 wires as well but when I tested the polarity with a battery the metal cap was the negative and the wire inside it was positive. The bottom outside edge of the bottom board where the 3 sides sit is the negative and soldered to the cap. Unfortunately my lack of electronics skills defeated me :( If it were just 2 wires that needed swapping and resoldering I would've given it a go. I still have 3 of the bulbs sitting doing nothing :D

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
The base is the negative. The two wires are the positive and return negative hence the diode. Should be easy enough to do, I'll take a few pics.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.