Reversing Light

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
How'd you get on DeanC? Interested in your rewiring project. Shame about the offset pins. Were they helpful?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Just fitted the LED reverse light. Very happy.

Before:

6uny8e6a.jpg

puza2e7y.jpg

After:

eqe6ujyg.jpg

u7ygevyq.jpg

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Good stuff. I have ordered two Cree bulbs to have a go at the indicators. The vendor has assured me they are voltage sensing. I made it a condition of sale. I plan a breakdown of the job and wonder if we could link your pics to it?

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Good stuff. I have ordered two Cree bulbs to have a go at the indicators. The vendor has assured me they are voltage sensing. I made it a condition of sale. I plan a breakdown of the job and wonder if we could link your pics to it?

Sorry I don't understand buddy. Feel free to use any of my photos though.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
As an aside I am nearly ready to write up the teardown for the indicator replacement. I sourced a pair of LED bulbs that didn't require a DeanC type dismantling of the bulbs. Paid the price though £15 each but 700 lumens with 10 cree LEDS in them. Watch out for a new thread which I'll link to this one

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
The one dephead kindly posted:

CREE 1156 BA15S P21W Xenon LED CANBUS REVERSE LIGHT BULB WHITE HIGH POWER 261169683340.

Cheers :)

As an aside I am nearly ready to write up the teardown for the indicator replacement. I sourced a pair of LED bulbs that didn't require a DeanC type dismantling of the bulbs. Paid the price though £15 each but 700 lumens with 10 cree LEDS in them. Watch out for a new thread which I'll link to this one

Sounding good :)

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Good job Dean, looks brilliant. So if the seller sent you the correct reverse bulb then it would have been just a plug and play job?

Sounds good Dephead, I'll be looking forward to your write up as I'm not very good with electrical rewiring and would prefer an easier solution but with same results :D

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
Good job Dean, looks brilliant. So if the seller sent you the correct reverse bulb then it would have been just a plug and play job?

Sounds good Dephead, I'll be looking forward to your write up as I'm not very good with electrical rewiring and would prefer an easier solution but with same results :D

Yep. Easy to do in under a minute. My first bulb just had the wrong pins.

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Yep. Easy to do in under a minute. My first bulb just had the wrong pins.

Thanks for confirming Dean. I might wait for the part numbers for the bulbs Dephead used for the indicators and replace them all in one go :)

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Hi AJ It was 2x 50w 7507/BAU15S/581 BRIGHTEST CREE LED AMBER (CANBUS) INDICATOR BULBS Item number 161201053098. But I notice that the seller has none left. However there are others like this out there and you could contact the seller as he was VERY responsive answering my many questions

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Hi AJ It was 2x 50w 7507/BAU15S/581 BRIGHTEST CREE LED AMBER (CANBUS) INDICATOR BULBS Item number 161201053098. But I notice that the seller has none left. However there are others like this out there and you could contact the seller as he was VERY responsive answering my many questions

Hi Dephead, thanks very much for the info! Will have a search :)

dw911

Mar 30, 2013

50 watts :D

Just for reference, take these quoted watt output figures with a pinch of salt
Cree North America won't have a cree chip/chips that can output those figures in something the size of a bau15 bulb for at least another 5 years if then

To make an indicator bulb with any chance of reaching 50 watts with the current crop of cree chips would result in a bulb about the size of a baked bean can to fit all the cree chips in and the heatsink it would need

Take a look at one of your led headlights to get an idea of what's needed too get around 50 watts, then asked the seller how he managed the same output on a very tiny ba15 bulb before you part with any money :)

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Yes I agree about the Wattage. The figures for Lumens are the key indicator (sorry). They're probably exaggerated too but anyway the proof of the pudding is in the flashing.

I'll post pictures on a new thread. You pays your money and takes your choice.

All I can say is that they do the job perfectly with an easy plug and play solution, no canbus errors, fast on/off, brighter than the incandescent bulb especially when the bright LED stop light is on which tended to mask the indicator.

What's not to like? The price (£15 each) but should last the life of the car until someone rear ends it.

By the way re-pining the connector is not an option as there is an internal circuit board for the LED position lights which presumably requires part of the circuitry to be negative. All will be revealed as soon as I can get to the teardown.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Cheers on the info dephead, looking forward to the write up :)

30 notes is a bit stiff for two bulbs, wonder what the mark up is on them :think:

That Aliexpress has similar looking bulbs, as to whether any fit the bill :shrug:

You got a bargain dephead, just spotted a set on ebay for £99, 19 already sold :wtf: 111245938994

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise