REVIEW: (KMD High pressure fuel pump internals) + (Revo Stage 2+) = Grinning idiot

warren_cox

Back from the dead
After fannying about for ages I finally made the round trip to Chesterfield where Nino at JBS Auto's had sourced me some KMD fuel pump internals. I'd given up hope of seeing any Autotech internals, so resigned myself to testing out KMD's offering. I'd never been to JBS before despite seeing them at GTi international a few times. The office was tidy, comfortable and the addition of a PS2 with GT3 was pretty welcome! Service received was very good.

The guys at JBS had it fitted within an hour, and it wasn't long before I was rolling back down the M1 towards Daventry in Northants to Revo HQ.

Initial impressions were pretty mixed. Whilst the car felt slightly less sluggish at the top end, it was a mixed bag across the rev range, with moments of inspiration in parts, and then areas where there was something lacking in others. There is that feeling where after you spent some cash you try to convince yourself it was worth the money, and initially that warm feeling was lacking a little. Mindful the car would need to adapt, I rode with it and waited for Revo's input.

As usual the guys at Revo (Kev & Carl) were on top form with customer service. I even got to see the new premises which look as though they will offer fantastic facilties. Coffees and a catch up, whilst Carl went to work on the car. I've recently dropped the DV from my list of options, and reverted to OE unit, so the Carbonia filter and intake / NGK Iridiums are the only mods. I don't have an aftermarket exhaust / downpipe, and with the possibility that the car may go back in 9 months I wasn't going to bung out £1,100 on one as it would be a poor return. Objective of the day was to get the most fun for the remaining 9 months of ownership for a fair outlay.

Kev suggested we try stage 2+ despite the lack of the Milltek / downpipe, and I'm pleased to say that the results are unbelievable. It's no secret that I've always been grossly underwhelmed by the stock power of the S3, and although Revo's excellent stage 1 map provided a great interim solution, the stage 2+ with fuel pump is a revelation. To me there always seemed to be a slight malaise when accelerating hard under load from mid range speeds, particularly accentuated in warm weather where the inlet temps were noticeably higher (in standard mode). Whilst stage 1 optimised the situation available from the OE kit, the new fuel pump with stage 2+ map pulls so much harder to the redline. Gone is the slightly lazy and laboured progress with in gear acceleration, replaced with a sharp raspy surge which just keeps going. Fuel consumption is pretty much like for like, and it's only if you gun it constantly that you see any marked change. The general around town ride remains absolutely composed and well mannered. Overtaking is no longer an activity with any residual fear, instead you'll just shreak with pleasure as the car continues to surprise you with its relentless shove.

Just as a point of note, the OE pump internals showed a slight sign of wear on the tip, but nothing significant or as severe as some internet sites suggest (car is MY07 EA888).

So often, and particularly more recently, I have found than in some cases the cost of modifications can be very high against the benefits you actually get in return. In fact sometimes you can be left wondering whether you are getting any benefit at all. Hand on heart, I can honestly say that this KMD pump with the Stage 2+ map are a match made in heaven. Even minus the full exhaust system it feels every bit the real article, and I'd be fascinated to see what kind of gains I get at the next RWYB (0-100 is unbelievable).

For anyone on the stage 1 set up who wants a great upgrade that is well under £400* (for mere mortals without APR money ;)), you won't be disappointed. I was very dubious, but a tank full of Optimax later and I feel very pleased that the car will see us out for a great last 9 months. Also got the new Revo Select Switch and was pleased to find it works on Vista (32 bit). In a year when money is less plentiful it was REALLY uplifting to feel that the money had been very well spent.

*Requires Revo Stage 1 at full RRP before Stage 2+ addition can be added.

Last edited:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
DSC_0003.JPG

Picture of the original Audi fuel pump internals for anyone who hasn't yet seen one. Very slight wear on the tip of the push rod, but nothing out of the ordinary for 25k miles.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Sounds great Warren, especially considering you aren't bullied into getiing the exhaust upgrade to enjoy the benefits of stage 2+. TBH when i looked under the Cupra it didn't look a very restrictive system. Not all people appreciate the sound of aftermarket exhausts. The cost of the TBE can usually really put people off tuning thier cars to the next level. Great to hear the car is finally meeting your expectations.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I was pleased that the software would cope on a car without full system/DP, but I think this is in part due to the fact that whilst the likes of Milltek and APR make some stunningly beautiful product, with defined performance benefits, the outright gap between these and the higher end OE products is closing slightly. Yes the aftermarkets will last and make the 4pot sound less of a bag of nails, but I would only ever now replace the exhaust when its k-n-ackered. Kev did the rolling tests and all was fine, and in part this is assisted by the slightly larger I/C on the S3 keeping intake temps down a bit. He has made me a hot weather setting on my Revo select switch (see below), just in case of a rare heatwave.

Settings on my Revo Select Switch are as follows:
B = Boost
T=Timing
F= Fuelling

STOCK (When back at dealers) : B 0 / T 0 / F 0
PERFORMANCE (Unmodified performance setting): B 6 / T 2 / F 9
SETTING A (For very hot weather - high intake temps): B 6 / T 4 / F 8
SETTING B (Everyday setting for very good performance): B 8 / T 5 / F 7
SETTING C (High performance setting - track days / race): B 9 / T 6 / F 6

I got Kev to set these up for me based on the way the car had been running. I have to admit I'm no expert in these matters so leave it to them to resolve the optimum set up, so Whilst I may have a fiddle with the Select switch settings to Fuelling 9 on setting 3. 99% of the time I use Shell Optimax 98RON, and the others I use BP Ulitmate 97 or Tesco 99 (although I have heard the excessive additives in this fuel could cause long term build ups).

Just as a point of note, the Select switch firmware has been upgraded, as have the settings on the switch. Revo users may want to get back in touch with Carl / Kev to get their switches updated to latest spec. Position 9 now includes a FIRMWARE UPDATE selector for any future updates which is very useful. This requires software version 1.8 CD Rom for compatibility, and although only recommnded for use on WinXP, also operates on Vista 32bit OS.

DSC_0002-1.JPG

DSC_0001-1.JPG

luke07cupra

Wind the boost up...
Apr 13, 2009
Leeds
I'm now tempted to try this on my Cupra, got the car booked in this Friday at JBS for pump and Milltek TBE. Thing is car has just come back from Seat tonight with a brand new cat back exhaust done under warranty. I'm now struggling with the idea of handing over £1000 for the Milltek.

As mentioned the S3 intercooler is slighlty larger than Cupra but i can't imagine exhaust is any different. I may have to run slighlty lower boost to keep temps down a bit, other than that i can't see why it won't work :blink:

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I'm still running 'sweet as', so no issues to call. I personally question the value of the Milltek TBE at a grand. If you need a new exhaust then fair enough, but it is as much the DP you need as the rest of the kit.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

RedRobin

Great and objective review, Warren. Also helpful to anyone considering the KMD (me!).

I'm afraid that the Milltek was the very first mod I did on my Mk5 GTI - I came from a BMW straight-six with a great exhaust sound and also believe that hearing your engine/exhaust is a very real driving aid regardless of what you are driving. I hate that caccooned marshmallow feel in a car.

However, the Milltek was the first step on the very slippery slope of modding!

:)

warren_cox

Back from the dead

Great and objective review, Warren. Also helpful to anyone considering the KMD (me!).

I'm afraid that the Milltek was the very first mod I did on my Mk5 GTI - I came from a BMW straight-six with a great exhaust sound and also believe that hearing your engine/exhaust is a very real driving aid regardless of what you are driving. I hate that caccooned marshmallow feel in a car.

However, the Milltek was the first step on the very slippery slope of modding!

Cheers mate!

One thing I would say is that a CAI has proved to be essential, but I only realised this after the car had adapted and was struggling to deliver the air I needed to match the increased fuelling (see here)

RedRobin

^^^^
Aha! A linked review rich with info about ITG's latest offerings - Nice1 :)

I'm currently running an ITG flat panel in the oem airbox/engine cover fed by Carbonio carbonfibre prettiness.

I shall now spend another hour of my life reading.....

RedRobin

^^^^
Indeed it is the same RedRobin as found on several car forums and meets. [RedRobin wondered why he found that people suddenly were ignoring him :D]

I'm afraid that I'm a bit of an addict!

Good to 'meet' you and even better if we ever meet up in person.

RedRobin

Hi RedRobin,

Where are you looking at buying the KMD internals? Sourced mine from US thanks to another member.

....I haven't got that far yet.

I tend to try and do my mods one at a time so I can assess them better and also more easily diagnose any problems.

My current path down the slippery slope of modding is super lightweight wheels > air intake > consider HPFP plus Revo2+ from current Revo2.

:thumbup: