Revs surging when clutch applied

markxero

Sorry if this is repeating an existing thread - I tried searching for it but couldn't find the same problem on here already.

I've had a Leon 1.6S for 5 months. About 3 months ago we started having intermittent problems of the revs surging when the clutch was pressed. It soared up to 4500rpm, and the only way to sort it out was to turn the engine off and on again (very annoying and dangerous when in a queue of traffic).

It gradually got more common, until eventually the revs died at some lights and took several attempts to get going again. Incidentally, the surging only happened in the first five minutes or so of driving - if the oil temperature got up to 90 it was fine from then on.

I took it back to the garage and they cleaned the throttle housing, but it still continued, until I was stopped with the engine on once and the revs died again. This time, when I started up there was a big cloud of soot from the exhaust and the problem cleared. I cancelled taking it back to the garage again and it drove fine for another couple of months, but now the issue has reared its head again. Over the last two weeks, the surging has become more common.

This morning it again cut out at a junction and wouldn't get going again. I'm booking it in at the garage, but I'm not confident they'll know how to solve it.

Anyone got experience of this and resolved the problem, or an idea what might be causing it?

Cheers

markxero

OK - got a call from the garage to say they've found the problem. Apparently it's a faulty coolant temperature sensor. Thought I'd post it up here in case anyone else ever has the same issue and comes looking.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.