Right...

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
If you are in 6th and bang it in 2nd you will over rev the engine and set a warrenty void fault code...

I assume its just set slightly higher than the software limit for up shifting.

Don

Total Member
Nov 23, 2003
Hampshire
www.djschrism-don1.com
So bouncing your engine off the rev limiter time and again isn't going to hurt it? What about the gearbox with that.

I'm sure I'm not making this up.... isn't it a code on VAG.com that can't be wiped?

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
luke said:
I can't believe there is a limit.

There is, it logs an excess engine speed code as one of our posters found out once. I think its 7200rpm.

luke

Sep 30, 2004
Hants
Cupramax said:
There is, it logs an excess engine speed code as one of our posters found out once. I think its 7200rpm.
Is this in the terms and conditions then? Because otherwise I would tell them to feck off and replace the engine.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Terms & conditions?? :D What do you think the red line is for? I think you'll find it tells you not to over rev it if you RTFM.

luke

Sep 30, 2004
Hants
Cupramax said:
Terms & conditions?? :D What do you think the red line is for? I think you'll find it tells you not to over rev it if you RTFM.
Then I would ask what good the rev limiter is. Sorry but if the dealer told me they weren't going to replace a blown engine because I'd hit the rev limiter there's no way I'd accept that. :wtf:

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
The Rev limiter doesn't stop you being dense and putting it in second at say 85mph though... :rolleyes: Thats not the dealers fault though is it.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
luke said:
Then I would ask what good the rev limiter is. Sorry but if the dealer told me they weren't going to replace a blown engine because I'd hit the rev limiter there's no way I'd accept that. :wtf:

Thats not what I said, the rev limiter and excess engine speed are 2 different things. Hitting the rev limiter wont throw a code.

luke

Sep 30, 2004
Hants
Cupramax said:
Thats not what I said, the rev limiter and excess engine speed are 2 different things. Hitting the rev limiter wont throw a code.
Even so, unless you've modified the car by raising the limiter it would be well worth fighting them on this IMO. I'd like to see them prove you put the car into second at 85 mph. And if it isn't in the T&C's then they're legally obliged to replace the engine.

Cupramax

Uber pimp meister
Aug 1, 2001
Yes, thats the bugger. Just trying to find that thread, not sure if its still there as he got banned.

Jib 21

Aug 7, 2005
Lowdham, Nottingham
Surely the "more isnt always better" rule applies here though, just cos it's the redline doesnt mean its the best place to change up to maintain the most power going to wheels.