Rns head units

Blue fr

Sep 30, 2018
hi guys im looking at replacing my standard head unit in my fr. I was looking at getting one with a sat nav. Does the rns 510 fit in the mk2 leon because it looks so much better then the 310? Thank you

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Just my 2p... I'm sure I've seen MK2s with the 510 in them, but hopefully someone will confirm that for you. I've got the RNS315 and was really happy with it until last weekend when it didn't know any of the new roads in Wales. I've got the 2018 maps installed. So I wanted to update, but apparently the V10/V11 (2019) cards don't work in the UK for reasons I'm not sure. So I'm now stuck and can't update it and will have to use Google maps on my phone (as I did last weekend).

Just something to think about, because Google maps is constantly updated. I'm considering a branded (Kenwood or Pioneer) Android unit now.

Blue fr

Sep 30, 2018
I have had a look at the rns315 it looks quite nice. I might look at buying one. Do they give directions on the mfd aswel. Thank you

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I have had a look at the rns315 it looks quite nice. I might look at buying one. Do they give directions on the mfd aswel. Thank you

Mine does. I don't tend to have the digital speedo on instead though. The MFD nav is useful cause it has a countdown diagram to your next turn which makes it obvious when you need to slow down.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I have a rns510 fitted to my mk2. I bought it off Ebay to replace the god awful looking oem headunit.

I bought the gps antenna off Ebay and also the aerial adaptor was purchased from ebay as the rns510 from a golf has a twin aerial port as opposed the single port that seat use.

I bought the fascia surround from my local seat dealership.

The only issue I had was that I suffered battery drain issues as my car is 2006 and the canbus module was not compatible with the 2009 rns 510.

I swapped the canbus module for one from a 2010 golf which sorted out the drain issue.

I have 3140 update loaded onto the unit and v9 maps, quite old maps and software but it allows me full postcode search facility so I am quite happy with the software.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
I'll be getting an Android one with Google maps, no need to pay £100 every time something changes.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
I've got the RNS510 in my MK2 LCR from factory, but it's a bit dated. It's a pain in the butt to update firmware and maps, and with everything so connected these days, I wouldn't buy an RNS510 if I didn't have it in my car. As you said above, go for an aftermarket Android one. So much better & easier to work with for much less ££ and hassle.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
I've used the Pumpkin brand before, XTRONS are also pretty well recieved.

For example this one has 4GB Ram and 32GB ROM, with a more uptodate processor so the entire unit will just run much smoother.

(Shop around abit, you can probably get it much cheaper)

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
There's different options available, 2GB version for £239. It's the only one on Amazon which has a decent number of reviews AND good reviews.

The problem with eBay is that if it goes wrong, good luck getting a refund!

EDIT: The pumpkin one in on Amazon and it doesn't look too bad.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.