RNS315 map update

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
hi I'm looking for a map update on my 61plate fr+ cr

there seems to be a lot of information on the over models can't seem to find a place to update the rns315

my first route would be what i can download lol..

failing that where can i buy it?

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
Map updates come on an SD card and can only be got from SEAT. You can only update the maps using an official SD card. The cost of a card is £150-200.

The SD card has protection built into it so it can't be copied. Once an SD card has is used to update the maps on an RNS315 unit, it gets locked to that unit so it can't then be used on another car.

Even if you could download maps and put them on an SD card it wouldn't work because of the SD card protection mechanism (which a standard SD card won't have). To date, no-one seems to have cracked the SD card protection mechanism.

So if you want map updates, the only option is to pay the extortionate ransom fee to SEAT.

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
thanks for the information,i think I'm going to wait for a dealer to have an offer on,

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
I mate of mine recently updated the maps on his RNS510 in this 2009 Passat CC himself.

He downloaded the new maps and the wrote it to CD which he then put into the car in order to install. I need to double check where he actually got the maps from, but I know he paid for access to them on a forum/website.

I assumed that I would be able to use the same method for my RNS315 although I've not wanted the updated maps enough to actually look into it further yet.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
I mate of mine recently updated the maps on his RNS510 in this 2009 Passat CC himself.

He downloaded the new maps and the wrote it to CD which he then put into the car in order to install. I need to double check where he actually got the maps from, but I know he paid for access to them on a forum/website.

I assumed that I would be able to use the same method for my RNS315 although I've not wanted the updated maps enough to actually look into it further yet.

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
You can't do that with the RNS315 unfortunately because map updates work in a completely different way than on the RNS510.

The RNS510 can be updated via a disc which is why you can do it. The RNS315 can only be updated using an SD card which must be one of the original protected SD cards otherwise the map update process just rejects it.

People have been trying for years to find a way around updating the RNS315 maps without having to spend a fortune purchasing an official protected SD card from SEAT, but to date no-one has been successful in doing that.

If you start researching this, you will soon find that you come to a dead-end like all of those other poor souls who once trod before you :D

Last edited:

toplad

Jan 25, 2015
called the stealers they never called me back with a price can anyone point me in the right direction to get an update?

JamMonkey

Mar 9, 2008
Cheshire
Has anyone looked at the numerous V6 Map Update SD's on E-Bay that are available

And has anyone used one, New-Unopened one's

I have a 2011 FR with 2.1Media system and thought maybe it was worth a punt getting one of these to update it.

I believe V7 is out but this seems to be over £100 still at the moment.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Has anyone looked at the numerous V6 Map Update SD's on E-Bay that are available

And has anyone used one, New-Unopened one's

I have a 2011 FR with 2.1Media system and thought maybe it was worth a punt getting one of these to update it.

I believe V7 is out but this seems to be over £100 still at the moment.

I've emailed a couple of sellers asking if its compatible with my 2012 FR+. So far they've all replied with not. Apparently its for the Mk3... I guess its easier to copy as I fail to believe they are selling "official" SD cards for 1/5th of the price.

Seat UK quoted me £150ish.. but my local dealer quoted me £175 and followed it up with the wise words of "but we're not sure if it'll work".

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I have found a few things recently regarding the rns units:

the 310 has no internal memory. It uses cd based maps that can be loaded onto an sd card through the unit itself so you can use the cd slot. Map cd £65+ vat

The 315 has internal memory. The map data can theoretically be installed via both cd and sd card and is stored on the unit itself but from experience it tends to update firmware via disc and maps via protected sd card. latest sd card it £208+ vat (ouch)

the rns 510 also has internal memory and can be updated (both firmware and nav data) via cd. The latest cds for this unit can be had for peanuts. genuine disc is £175 + vat

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I have found a few things recently regarding the rns units

Any ideas how I figure out which unit I have? It has media system 2.2 loaded on it if that narrows it down.

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Hi iv just brought 2015 sd card maps on ebay, brand new for £30, seller had a exeo and was maps not compatible with his sat nav, so its never been used, hopefully it will work, i will give it ago when it comes

JamMonkey

Mar 9, 2008
Cheshire
Hi iv just brought 2015 sd card maps on ebay, brand new for £30, seller had a exeo and was maps not compatible with his sat nav, so its never been used, hopefully it will work, i will give it ago when it comes

Can you post the part number and or take a picture of the box ect if at all possible please. Fingers crossed it all works ok for you.

Guess you have a RNS315 2.1 or 2.2 version of the media system.

Cheers
Matt

leontsibob

Feb 6, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Yeah I can do as soon as it comes, im assuming it is the one for mine, I have the 315 dab, I thought for £30 its worth a go, look in todays auto express mag, there is a article on how much seat map updates are.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, I emailed Seat UK and was quite surprised they phoned me back the next day. They confirmed my car was due a map update and I needed the SD card. They gave me a part number of "000051884S" and said it was £129.17 ex vat.

A bit expensive for just a map update...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members