Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Rob + Kelz Black Mk1 Leon Cupra 4WD Quattro Project

Discussion in 'Readers Rides (SEAT)' started by Rob Kelz, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Rob Kelz

Ok I done some more progress today on stripping the parts needed off the A3 Quattro pictures below

Car is now stripped to the bare shell, just some bits and pieces left inside the car which I'll clear out over the next few days and put in the garage
    [​IMG]

The complete subframe/diff assembely all dropped down off the car
    [​IMG]

Out away from the car can now clearly see everything as it was removed
    [​IMG]

The plate that goes on the end of the arm which bolts the arm to the chassis was pretty fu*ked to I'll be ordering new ones of these along with new bushes that go in them too
    [​IMG]

End arms are now split away from the diff and subframe, ready for complete stripping so that they can be cleaned up and painted or powder coated, I haven't yet made my mind up as to which option to go for!
    [​IMG]

The rear subframe with the diff, again the diff will be removed and the subframe will be either cleaned up and painted with new bushes or powder coated
    [​IMG]

The Quattro fuel tank which will be going in the Leon... around a 60 litre tank I believe?
    [​IMG]

And the big gap where the fuel tank and subframe, diff etc once sat... This is the underside of the rear floor that will now need to be drilled and cut out and cleaned up ready to be welded into the Leon once that one is also drilled and cut out!
    [​IMG]

My plans for the weekend will now be cutting and drilling out the rear floor and cleaning it up

2. grahams81

grahams81 Active Member

Oooohhh it seems I'm not the only lunatic :D

Well done and keep the pictures coming.

3. Rob Kelz

Thanks dude, yes I think I am a little mad, and so do a few others haha!

Not much to update on this... I've ordered some parts so I can start refurbing all the back stuff but one part is on back order unfortunately :(

Parts ordered are
    4 new subframe mounting bushes
    2 bushes that go between the subframe and diff
    2 new plates that go on the end of the arms to bolt to the chassis
    2 new brake dust shields

Part on back order is one of the bushes that go between the diff and subframe, but hoping everything else can be picked up tomorrow

Having a look around at the minute for some powerflex bushes as I will fully polybush it all before it goes back on the car so I may order this at the weekend or next week

Also will be going for a coilover set but unsure as to which ones, mind is tied up between the AP Coilovers and a Apex RDX kit

Decisions decisions.... :blink:

#103 Rob Kelz, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  4. Rob Kelz

Not a lot done today unfortunately. Had to do some shopping around got some smooth hammerite, wire brush attachment for my grinder and some bits and pieces

Decided to clean the 4 tie bars up and give them a coat of hammerite

One cleaned up and three more to go
    [​IMG]

All cleaned up and first coat of paint
    [​IMG]

And a picture of the finish after one coat, gonna give it another coat just to be safe
    [​IMG]

So one more coat and then their ready for the poly bushes, just got the subframe/diff carrier and the arms left to do

5. cocadave

Great read, keep it up...

6. Rob Kelz

So not much for towards progress to be honest but I thought I'd have a go at getting the floor pan out of the Quattro which was a nightmare lol

Drilling out all of the spot welds and getting all the seam sealer off etc

Drilled out god knows how many spot welds and then started pulling the metal apart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started unpicking all the spot welds seperating the floor from the rest of the car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I then started cutting through into the chassis leg rails but got stuck as my cutting wasn't going deep enough to cut right the way through so I'll grab a bigger one tomorrow hopefully and just get the last of it out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So hopefully if all goes to plan the floor will finally be out of the car tomorrow, I also gave the tie bars another coat of paint so they should be good and ready for the bushes to be fitted.

Through the week I'm hoiping to clean up the subframe diff and arms and then give them a coat of paint.

I was hoping to pick up the new bushes and pieces I ordered on Thursday/Friday but they hadn't arrived so hopefully I'll get them this week too :)

7. Rob Kelz

So just a quick update really, not really done anything to the car today but my tie arms/bars are now all painted up after I cleaned them up Saturday and gave them a coat of paint I gave them another coat yesterday

So the finished tie arms here, all ready for their Powerflex bushes :)
    [​IMG]

Now to decide what coilovers to go for! :)

#107 Rob Kelz, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  8. Rob Kelz

Got a package turn up today with some bits and pieces!

Also decided what engine spec I'm gonna go for!

2.0 stroker kit, spec as follows...

TSR v-band exhaust manifold
    Garret GTX3076R 0.82 with tial housing
    JE 83mm Stroker Pistons
    IE rifle drilled rods with 20mm wrist pins
    TFSI crank
    SEM inlet manifold
    Tial 44mm wastegate and screamer pipe

That's pretty much the base of it :) I'll get some pictures up later of the goodies received today!

9. Rob Kelz

So not much of an update just to show some of the goodies that were in the package I got today

Some of the parts that were needed to refurbish the rear end setup

Brake disc shields
    Chassis to arm brackets
    4 rear subframe bushes
    1 diff to subframe bush (other ones are on back order)
    2 front top strut mount bearings (for when I get the coilovers and top mount bushes)

[​IMG]

And the second was a new spline/torx set so I can get the diff removed from the subframe as I didn't have a spline bit that went big enough
    [​IMG]

#109 Rob Kelz, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  10. Rob Kelz

Managed to crack on a little bit this morning before the weather turned against me lol

After a fight with a 9" grinder and some cuts and swells(do not fight with a 9" grinder, it hurts)

I managed to get the floor off
    [​IMG]

Then I decided to strip the rest of the car down so took the doors bonnet and boot off now it's good to goto the breakers
    [​IMG]

#110 Rob Kelz, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  11. ben450

ben450 Active Member

12. MarkWales

making great progress wish I had the time, space and skill.

13. Rob Kelz

Skills in patience is what is needed mate lol just very time consuming! Glad the floor is out now tho but dreading taking the Leon's one out lol

Slowly coming along mate I'm concentrating on refurbishing all the rear setup now so I can get that all ready to bolt onto the car for when the floor is welded in.

Will be interesting sorting it when it's finished to see if it needs to goto VOSA or just have an engineers report or something lol

Anyway not much progress today just started cleaning up the arms and stripping them down ready for painting and putting new bushes in.

Have decided to put new wheel bearings and hubs in too, not cheap but will do it for peace of mind!

14. Rob Kelz

Pictures of one of the arms from cleaning up today and getting ready for paint, need to remove the bushes, bearing and hub yet tho
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the donor engine ready to strip down so the block can be sent away for a rebore and then be fully rebuilt to a 2.0L stroker
    [​IMG]

#114 Rob Kelz, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
  15. Rob Kelz

Not much of an update really got the engine on the stand this evening and started taking a few parts off and then left the oil draining. Removed the alternator, power steering and air con pump and SAI, EVAP and few other parts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully remove the head tomorrow and then strip the block ready for the rebore

16. ReDBull

ReDBull Every day's a school day.

Good work Rob.

17. Rob Kelz

Managed to strip the engine a little more yesterday evening, head is now off the engine think it's gonna be going on eBay as I'm going to be using a large port head.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably strip the block down a little later today as I've a few things to do beforehand. Will remove the pistons crank and rods etc and hopefully drop the block off next week or the week after to have it rebored and cleaned :)

18. Rob Kelz

Waiting on my poly bushes and coilovers then I can finish getting the rear setup sorted and then take the Leon off the rods to complete the 4wd conversion.

The plan is to remove the rear floor out the Leon put the new one in and get it all back on the road so it is back drivable. Then when my engine is complete I shall just swap them over and then take it to get mapped.

Today I removed the sump off the engine and the oil pump then took out the rods and pistons now to remove the crank so it's a bare block then drop it off next week or the week after for the rebore
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. supersticky

supersticky Active Member

Can I ask what you do for work! As I couldn't imagine myself ever having neither the skill or time to do a third of this! Amazing work mate amazing :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

20. Rob Kelz

Lol thanks mate!

Believe it or not I'm actually a Web Developer lol but I've always had a passion for cars etc and family do a lot of mechanic work.

I've always been mechanically minded and will always give something at least one try!

As for time I don't have a huge amount of time with work family and the kids, so I just plod along a little at a time hence mainly doing things in the evenings :)

#120 Rob Kelz, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014