RobDon

Pro Detailer
Not wanting to clog up Jamie's thread with my stuff, I've decided to start my own thread.

As you know, my ATP GT2X turbo has blown. Oil smoke belching out the exhaust, burning oil and a screeching sound when it comes on boost!

So ... the turbo has to come off. I have decided to do it myself, not wanting to incur huge labour charges from a tuner for simple jobs plus a feeling of achievement. I've rebuilt engines before in my garage (long time ago though!) so unbolting a turbo isn't exactly rocket science!

My options for a new turbo are limited, mainly by my budget but also because there are very few affordable choices out there, spending £5k+ on the Backdraft kit (as good as it looks) is just not an option - not unless they want free advertising on my car in return for a cheap turbo kit - lol!

Last edited:

RobDon

Pro Detailer
So the choices I have are as follows:

1. CR Turbos to rebuild and rework my blown GT2X into a hybrid, should be capable of around the 300bhp mark (hopefully). Cost under £500. Oil-cooled only.

CR Turbos have a top-notch reputation and build turbos for the likes of Harvey Gibb Race Engines and AG Motorsport. http://www.crturbos.co.uk/

2. JBS04 turbo (hybrid K03S), very costly for a reworked OE turbo but offers around the 300bhp mark and is water-cooled too. £1500 or £998 p/x (I'd have to find a cheap K03S to p/x)

3. GT28R Eliminator. Straight swap for the GT2X but is a ball-bearing, water cooled turbo rated to 310bhp. Best of the bunch but impossible to get hold of. Cost just over £1k.

My only worry about tackling it myself is the though of jammed, rounded or snapped bolts and studs!

The turbo is only held on by 4 downpipe bolts, 3 manifold bolts, 1 oil line, 1 vacuum line and the air inlet ........... all accessible from the top. Car can be jacked up onto axle stands if required though.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Waste of time, they only produce around 305bhp on the FWD. Gt28R is supposed to spool up much faster and will make roughly the same power, slightly less probably.

I think I'll be sending my turbo to CR to work their magic - it may well make over 300 anyway!

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I would go with the reworked version of your own. Be confident when your removing the bolts etc, just set yourself a realistic time scale. You've nothing to worry about really since when your removing the DP and manifold studs if anything breaks you can replace them when you refit the new turbo. I would recommend new fixings and gaskets all round anyway. make sure you've got a good socket set and use the correct size socket to prevent slipping. Soak all bolts the night before with release oil or WD40. When i upgraded turbo on the LCR i spent as much time under the car as i did above simply because it was easier and made things more accessible. Change your oil and coolant at the same time. Good luck.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I would go with the reworked version of your own. Be confident when your removing the bolts etc, just set yourself a realistic time scale. You've nothing to worry about really since when your removing the DP and manifold studs if anything breaks you can replace them when you refit the new turbo. I would recommend new fixings and gaskets all round anyway. make sure you've got a good socket set and use the correct size socket to prevent slipping. Soak all bolts the night before with release oil or WD40. When i upgraded turbo on the LCR i spent as much time under the car as i did above simply because it was easier and made things more accessible. Change your oil and coolant at the same time. Good luck.

Cheers! Yes I'm in no hurry and really fancy doing it myself. As you say new bolts etc. will all be used anyway.

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Only problem with getting your gt2x rebuilt is its still only going to be oil cooled. I know what you are saying about the GTRS but I dont think I have ever seen somebody actually with a GT28R eliminator fitted so I dont really see it as an option.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Yeah, I think that's what I'd do - go for a proper GT28RS kit

If you can't live without the car, get your old one refurbed or bung a K03S on, OR just sell some wheels and buy a GT28RS kit now...

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Trouble is NOBODY list whether they actually have them in stock or not, I have a feeling they order them from ATP when they get an order in - and ATP have NONE for at least 6 weeks +!

ATP just keep saying they're on backorder and they have no idea when they're getting them ... great way to run a company.

Dec 31, 2005
London
atp need to pull their finger out, i very nearly bought hoochs old gt28rs kit but didnt have the money there and then, i was looking at the jbs 04 too but again bit much money.

jamiebennett81

really sorry to hear about your issues Rob...just praying this does not happen with mine

when CR turbos had mine, they asked if I wanted to make it water cooled as well I think, so thats a possibility I believe, have you asked them if they could do this? since they are going to be rebuilding the complete turbo, its worth doing I reckon

I reckon if you can hear metal clattering about then maybe its the turbine gone

if it is, then perhaps having the 360 thrust bearing will prevent any such issues

beattie17

Apr 12, 2005
Perth
I'd like to get away from the ATP stuff because it's not that great TBH, I'm tempted by the JBS04 and tubular manifold, but at £2k it's too much, unless I can find a turbo to p/x.

Rob the guy i got my ihi off on scottishvag, golf20v he had a few ko3s for dirt cheap like £40 advertised at same time. Worth giving him a pm on theyre?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Well I decided to get stuck in - I pulled off the intercooler pipe, inlet, oil feed line, etc., etc. and found quite alot of oil at both the inlet and the IC side too, plus there is a good 2-3mm of play in the shaft so it's goosed!

Just waiting on some 'Plus Gas' penetrating spray (supposed to be very good) and I'll spray all the nuts and bolts, leave overnight then remove the turbo and send it to CR Turbos.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
really sorry to hear about your issues Rob...just praying this does not happen with mine

when CR turbos had mine, they asked if I wanted to make it water cooled as well I think, so thats a possibility I believe, have you asked them if they could do this? since they are going to be rebuilding the complete turbo, its worth doing I reckon

I reckon if you can hear metal clattering about then maybe its the turbine gone

if it is, then perhaps having the 360 thrust bearing will prevent any such issues

All depends m8, rebuilding the turbo, upgrading it and making it water-cooled may add up to the price of a JBS04! Does sound good though, they may be able to convert it to water-cooled ball-bearing!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well I decided to get stuck in - I pulled off the intercooler pipe, inlet, oil feed line, etc., etc. and found quite alot of oil at both the inlet and the IC side too, plus there is a good 2-3mm of play in the shaft so it's goosed!

Just waiting on some 'Plus Gas' penetrating spray (supposed to be very good) and I'll spray all the nuts and bolts, leave overnight then remove the turbo and send it to CR Turbos.

Plus gas is very very good
We use it on 'the rigs' all the time

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.