Rods and pistons upgrade?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I will be going bigger turbo at some point and think upgrading the rods and pistons are a definate, all the big turbo blow-ups I've read about are all thrown rods, so the rods seem to be the weak link above 300BHP - what to go for?

JE pistons, Pauter rods?

I see ECS do sets of rods and pistons with 20mm pins:

PistonRodSet-300x225.jpg

What compression ratio though - they do 9.0:1, 9.2:1 and 9.5:1, what's the standard ratio and any benefit from changing it?

Cheers for any advice! :)

Addo

RobDon said:
I will be going bigger turbo at some point and think upgrading the rods and pistons are a definate, all the big turbo blow-ups I've read about are all thrown rods, so the rods seem to be the weak link above 300BHP - what to go for?

JE pistons, Pauter rods?

I see ECS do sets of rods and pistons with 20mm pins:

PistonRodSet-300x225.jpg

What compression ratio though - they do 9.0:1, 9.2:1 and 9.5:1, what's the standard ratio and any benefit from changing it?

Cheers for any advice! :)

What engine code do you have?

It maybe the case that you'll only need to change the rods. If you already have 20mm rods your standard pistons will be fine or get some early S3 pistons.

I have an ayp engine so i'll only be changing the rods if i go internal route.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Cupra 20VT is 9.5:1 compression ratio as standard.

There is some useful info on http://hotrod.com/techarticles/54258/, very detailed and beyond my understanding.

Also found this but I am always deepere sceptical of most of the info found on the web:
First, the engine you want to turbocharge cannot have a high compression ratio. The traditional compression ratio for a four cylinder engine is 8.5 to 1. You can go a little higher with multi-point injection. Most non-turbo cars have 9 to 1 or higher compression ratios. You can get away with about 9 to 1 turboed but beyond that, and the boost you add with the turbocharger will cause pre-detonation and blow your engine. Also, the higher the compression ratio, the less boost you can pump into the engine.

So you'll be rebuilding the engine with custom low compression pistons to lower the compression ratio, and at the same time, you'll be strengthining the block to take the additional stress of the turbocharger.

Obviously the entire computer system in you car has to be changed over to the the system for the used engine. You will need to get the the ECU, the engine wiring harness, all of the engine sensors, all of the solenoids and actuators and additional electronics which control the turbo system. So ensure that a trained mechanic is with you when making the purchase.

Next up , the fuel system delivery will have to be upgraded. You'll need higher flow rate injectors, a higher pressure fuel pump and sub-pump, and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Without the additional fuel, the engine will run too lean under the boost of the turbo, and will detonate, and blow.

You have to convert the entire induction system, which includes intake manifold, exhaust manifold, air plenum, waste gate, intake piping, and intercooler.

Sounds like too much of a complex science for me!!!!

caney

Apr 24, 2005
hi rob,i bought my je pistons from ecs via jbr and the price is very good. i went for arrow rods though as they are supposed to be one of the best makes!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
pauter strong but heavy, s3 pistons 9:1

what aims of power?

think JE's think forged slappy pistons oncold start.
cast is good to a good old power.. 400bhp maybe..

dan-ish

Audi Techie
Jan 26, 2005
darwen
Do the valves while the heads off thats the biggest weak point I know of.
S3 pistons with pauter rods in my golf easily good for 380bhp.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Anyone got opinions on rods?pauter seem popular,as steve said there's arrow too.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
What about the vat and tax? Is there only one set of rods for the 1.8t made by pauter?

RobDon

Pro Detailer
ibizacupra said:
pauter strong but heavy, s3 pistons 9:1

what aims of power?

think JE's think forged slappy pistons oncold start.
cast is good to a good old power.. 400bhp maybe..

Probably for around 350BHP - I don't trust the stock internals of the 180 engine at that level. Was planning to do the rods, pistons and the uprated valves from yourself Bill! :D

I see TSR do gas-flowed 20VT heads - anyone got one of those? TSR say good for 8-10BHP at worst.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Dunno m8, says £647 inc. VAT on their site. You'd get the same sort of gains from a FMIC and they cost over £700, so relative gains I think, TSR did say 8-10BHP at the worst! I'm sure Bill and Songman run gas-flowed heads, if they were a pointless upgrade I doubt they'd use them - Bill is 420bhp and Songman is 368bhp.

I'm more concerned with choosing the right rods and pistons though.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
largeport head on mine. previous was ported smallport...

as much a case of heads off, valves to be fitted so why not get it done whilst its off. (my thinking anyway)

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
people with s3 pistons only seem concerned with rods up to 400bhp.20mm is apy/apx s3/tt and early beezer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise