Rods and pistons upgrade?

Wilko

Badge snob
Pauters are the same weight as standard rods, as are the big end weights, which makes sense, as the counterweights on the opposite side of the crank are designed for standard rods. If you fit lighter rods, and don't modify the counterweights, you'll get nast 2nd and third order dynamic vibrations on the crank.
Pauters, cheap, strong, available.
Arrows, not so cheap, strong, available.
others, I don't know.

Standard s3/tt pistons with 20mm pins are fored, and made by Mahle. They're top quality, and give 9.0:1 CR.

As people have said, no vat or import tax on birthday pressents, or you can get a $100 invoice in the box, and pay 1% duty and 17.5% vat on 100$. The couriers admin fee for paying the tax is more than the tax.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
yes i was told the s3 pistons were mahle,was originally told 400bhp tops but recently it has upped to 450bhp by so called experts.i think james was running s3's at 440bhp

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I saw on Vortex that a guy got hold of 19mm Pauter rods - given that most non-210/225 1.8T engine throw rods at 350+ (if/when they let go), would just changing the rods be an option, the pistons seem to be able to handle it?

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
been searching for pistons myself! who are ecs? does anyone this side of the atlantic stock 18t pistons in 83mm oversize? my rods arrived and i got charged £92 vat and import duty!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
dont know anyone who has 83mm ones... I did but they have all been sold. (JE's)

Bobqzzi posted on here not so long back for Mahls... worth chasing him maybe. (USA)

On the subject of rods.... who uses Chromoly rods with riffle drilling?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Guys say i can get a turbo that can supply 450bhp on a 1.8 ,will the pauter rods be good enough?Also would i 100% need a large port head and improved inlet manifold ie jabba or dahlback?
What sort of fuel mods would be required?Hopefully that can run by the standard management?uprated pump?
Any other recommendations?

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
i am not an expert, but this is what i will be buying
inline wabro 225 l/hour £99 on ebay i think from memory
580cc injectors @4 bar or 630cc injectors at 3bar
pauters are well ok at that level
inlet, i will be using standard large port to start with from agu driver s inlet
concerned that bills maf is running out of reading at 400+ odd bhp

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Wouldn't you need a swirl pot with a inline pump?
I think that 630's may be needed with 450bhp.
Surely the rs4 maf can be rescaled or have jabbas mod!

caney

Apr 24, 2005
ryan_s3 said:
Guys say i can get a turbo that can supply 450bhp on a 1.8
a bit off topic but from the little bit of knowledge i've picked up from mihnea at MRC it wouldn't be worth trying to achieve 450bhp out of a 1.8! he was showing me compressor maps for different turbos etc and a garrettt gt30 fitted to mine would get 400bhp+but the power wouldn't come in till 5000rpm because of limitatioins of a 1.8t unit! what bill etc have done would be the way to go or even 2ltrs. it is achievable but would drive like a dog:( i have no money left to go big engine so i'm happy to get 400bhp+using nitrous as 360bhp on the road is more than enough;)

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
compressor maps don't tell the full story though,remember the turbine map.
Remember a 20g compressor wheel has the capabilities of 450+bhp but combined with a td05 exhaust housing it spools alot quicker although obviously limits top end capabilites.Exact same as pe1820 ,compressor capable of 450+,vf34 turbine hence limiting to 410bhp.If you spec it right you can achieve 450bhp with more lag obviously but not too the degree you are talking.I'm personally of the opinion that the 1.9(rebore) doesn't make a huge difference.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
ryan_s3 said:
compressor maps don't tell the full story though,remember the turbine map.
Remember a 20g compressor wheel has the capabilities of 450+bhp but combined with a td05 exhaust housing it spools alot quicker although obviously limits top end capabilites.Exact same as pe1820 ,compressor capable of 450+,vf34 turbine hence limiting to 410bhp.If you spec it right you can achieve 450bhp with more lag obviously but not too the degree you are talking.I'm personally of the opinion that the 1.9(rebore) doesn't make a huge difference.
like i said with the little bit of knowledge i have!

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
and i was advised today that the 2 litre conversion using the aeg beetle crank, with the shorter pistons will only stand 23psi and 430 odd bhp because of the shorter pistons. that was from jabba too.

ps whats the jabba mod? removing the mesh?

caney

Apr 24, 2005
t18con said:
and i was advised today that the 2 litre conversion using the aeg beetle crank, with the shorter pistons will only stand 23psi and 430 odd bhp because of the shorter pistons. that was from jabba too.
it's really frustrating being a customer:confused: different tuners tell you different things!clived (mtm tt roadster) has had a tsr 2.1 fitted and is hoping for big power so who knows:shrug:

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
tsr said they werent sure that their pistons were up to 400+bhp. they have to get back to me.

ps what size is an rs4 maf housing? and where can i get just the housing? oris there a bmw one or something in a bigger size? m5?? merc one???

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
apy/apx 20mm pins
amk/bam 19mm?

yeah i've heard of problems with the 2.1 something about over rotation.
Jabba say s3 pistons are up to the job of 450bhp.
I would have thought the 2.0 would be good for 400+,dans had one built but not sure on the crank etc.