Rok's Leon Mk1 20VT TS

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Summer setup time :funk:
This season the following tyres will be keeping me save:

The grip of these tyres is on completely new level in comparison to GY F1 ASS2. Today I gave up earlier than the tyres. Will have to get used to the higher grip level. :clap:

Setup for season 2017:

I got a good deal on the Cupra R wheels, so I went for it. :funk:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
This year there have been a few things done to my Leon.

I got a great deal on a 2nd hand LCR steering wheel, which needed refurb. Also got new Cupra R badge for it:

Refurbed steering wheel with the new badge:

Installed:

I really love the Cupra R steering wheel as it is thicker and allround better feeling.

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Next, there was time for inspection. I had some issues with brakes shaking (although these were new previous year) and the alignment was off. For both issues there was no particular reason - I haven't overheated the brakes and did not climb over any curbs.

In the process of alignment, which was not successful as I found out on test drive, the car was again on the ramp and they started looking for the reason. So they found shot wishbone bushes, which were the ordered.

Two weeks later I went back to the garage, to get the new bushes installed (OEM). As I was driving there, I picked up some sharp object with my rear left tyre. Since This happened on the Motorway I didn't even notice it right away. So the tyre was destroyed:

The new tyre was ordered, with delivery to the garage. After the bushes were installed, they also installed the gearbox shim. The mechanic was surprised I knew about this. I was only a second client, who did this mod.

Then the alignment was done again:

This was again not possible, due to rusted track rods, which the previous mechanic neglected to mention. So, this was also ordered (OEM) and the car stayed in the garage. They provided me with a new Skoda Octavia as a replacement car.

A few days later, the car was ready. The issues with brakes shaking and the alignment were solved :clap:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Mid June my friend, my GF and I went on a weekend tour thru Dolomites. We drove over 860 kilometres, with average consumption 14,5 litres per 100 km. So tempo was pretty high. We got lucky with the weather as it was sunny the whole time.

What I found out:
The tyres are absolutely insane. The car is totally predictable and cornering speeds are amazing.

Brakes were fine, but they cannot cope with me pushing it hard. After a couple hard breaking maneuvers, they started to shake pretty bad. After a cooling sequence they were back to normal. So, there is no way around Brembos for me.

There was an issue with the coolant temperature - when pushing hard uphill, the temperature rose to 110 degrees celsius and the engine lost some power.

Center caps on front wheels got lost. :think:

A few photos of the trip:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Center caps were ordered:

When looking for center caps, I also came across bonnet rubber seal, which I wanted for a long time and fixation (sorry, don't know the the expression for these) for the floor mats:

Rubber seal installed:
23760628.jpg

Floor mats fixated:
23761240.jpg

Then I also found the time, to alter something which bothered me since I got Cupra R front bumper:
23760497.jpg

I really hated the red paint behind the grill, so it's a lot better now that it's black.

With a help of a friend (electrician), we managed to install double USB charging "socket" in the glove compartment:
23760490.jpg

Even fitted a proper connector for an easy removal:
23760468.jpg

Last edited:

g_berserk

Smartass in training
Oct 15, 2014
Monterrey, Mexico
The Mk1 is such a timeless design.
I have only seen one besides your kept in such good condition.

Thumbs up for taking so good care of the car and the tasteful mods, I hope it has a bright future ahead.

Reactions: rockson

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
The Mk1 is such a timeless design.
I have only seen one besides your kept in such good condition.

Thumbs up for taking so good care of the car and the tasteful mods, I hope it has a bright future ahead.

Thx mate :thumbup:

I am trying to keep it in the best possible condition, as it is such a great drivers car - at least for me.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Finally I got time to leave my car at my mechanic, who tried to solve the following issues:
- Engine overheating while driving hard
- Some squeaking noise in the engine compartment when the AC was on
- Left rear brake caliper was not returning all the way
- Squeaking noise from underneath the car when going over some bumps

Ad.1.: The radiator fan was shot. As the OEM was over 540 €, I decided to go for non-original part. For half the price I got the radiator fan AND the AC fan, with bigger motors. They just fitted in the original place:
23844890.jpg

Ad.2.: All of the sudden a squeaking noise appeared from under the bonnet. After a few minutes, I figured out, that it has something to do with the AC, as the noise was only present, when the AC was running. This occurred only a couple of times, but I wanted it solved. I was afraid it might be the AC-compressor, but in the end it was only the accessory belt tensioner. So this got replaced (OEM) and so did the accessory belt.
23844896.jpg

23844891.jpg

Ad.3.: The left rear brake caliper got a bit stuck, so it needed replacement. I took non-original part, as the OEM was about 240€.
23844894.jpg

Ad.4.: Squeaking noise from under the car was coming from the shot ARB rubber bushes
23844892.jpg

Additionally this surface was grinded:
23844887.jpg

23844888.jpg

A couple of potential problems were found:
Rusty power steering line:
23844983.jpg

Some leak on AC system:
23844982.jpg

We'll have an eye on these and solve it when needed. Apart from this, I suspect, that passenger window mechanism will have to be replaced. Also the rear wiper mechanism, along with the Fabia wiper is ordered and waiting for me at the dealership. I need to solve this ASAP.

All rubber hoses were also inspected and are still ok. :)

For the next season I am gathering the parts for the 4 pot Brembo brakes upgrade, along with the cupra R spec rear brakes. My mechanic had some 4 pot Brembo calipers from an BMW e38 lying around, so he made a really good offer and I went for it. It's going to be a long wait till march. :cry:
Anything I should be careful about, when upgrading the brakes? I don't know which discs (make) I will be taking (323mm I guess), aiming for ferodo DS2500 pads, braided brake lines and Motul 600 brake fluid. Any suggestions or comments regarding these parts?

Last edited:

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
I finally fitted the new rear wiper motor and the wiper arm from Skoda Fabia:
23892383.jpg

Also had a look under the side skirts - for the first time in 13 years - and everything is ok. However I will have to take care of the damage, that jacks have done to the bottom:
23892390.jpg

23892386.jpg

This will have to be addressed ASAP.

I also had a bit of a scary moment as some strange metal noise started coming from under the bonnet. Afterwards the car went into limp mode. After towing it to the garage and inspecting what could be wrong we found that one of the timing belt tensioners failed, which led to pretty bad shape of the timing belt. I was pretty lucky, that there was no damage to the motor. We just replaced the tensioner and timing belt, made compression measurements and everything was OK. The motor works great since then. :)

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Decision about brake upgrade has also been made. I found a couple of new Brembo GT Type B calipers (original on Porsche 911, model 993 turbo) at a good price. I will combine them with the 323x28 Tarox G88 or F2000 brake disks with Tarox Corsa pads, braided brake lines and performance brake fluid. At the rear I will go with Cupra R stock setup.

Calipers:
23985569.jpg

23985568.jpg

In the end, this will be quite a costly upgrade. I guess this will be all that will be done to this car this year :shrug:

But since I will be getting company car, there is more to come, since the car won't be needed for daily use anymore :)

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Guess it's time for a little update.

Unfortunately, due to the whole jobe changing scenario I didn't have any time to sort everything out, to get the Brembos on. :no: But since I really couldn't bear with the juddering brakes, I got DS2500 brake pads front and rear, braided brake lines and Ferodo Racing brake fluid. The brake discs stayed standard (OEM ones), since they were still pretty new.

I didn't ditch the idea of the Brembo and Cupra R rear conversion, but it is going to be done some time later. ATM the car is more or less sitting still as I have a company car and the missus has her golf. However, she has been using the Leon for a few weeks, because the electrical handbrake on her Golf 7 malfunctioned. I always hated the damn thing and now I hate it even more, since it sat me back for nearly 1.000 € to get it fixed. :censored:

In the meantime Leon also turned 100kkm:
24225514.jpg

24225510.jpg

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Finaly got me some proper wheel cleaner
24225513.jpg

The wheels could sure use a refurb. Might have this sorted in the winter if I don't decide to buy some other lightweight wheels.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
Today the car will get the regular service treatment - new Mobil FS X1 5W-50 oil, new oil filter (from Golf 2 diesel, which holds a lot more oil), the panel K&N filter will be installed, throttle body will be cleaned (with new gasket) and TT strut will be fitted if there will be enough time to get it trimmed
24225512.jpg

On friday I am finaly going to an Time attack event, to see how the brakes and tyres handle on course.

rockson

Nov 9, 2014
Slovenia
There was some carbon bild up in the throttle body, but not as much as one would expect after 15 years:
24226190.jpg

24226191.jpg

After cleaning:
24226192.jpg

24226193.jpg

Much better.
Still have to see if idle will be better now.

Fitting a TT strut brace is quite demanding. We gave up yesterday as it was getting late, but we made a plan, how we are going to fit it, also with great care to prevent any possible rust issues in the future. Since we will be taking shocks off, I decided to get some coilovers (aiming for KW Clubsport) and both ARBs. Now I just have to find a good deal on all of these parts.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.