Ronin225's Candy rimmed Black LCR - Project 500-4WD, Cage installed and bigger turbo

GTi T

May 8, 2005
North West
Hi Tim, what make is that rear upper strut brace? looks very good and will serve a purpose too!!

Those supercopa wheels really do suit the Leon!!!!!;)

Get some rain repellent coated on that windscreen, will help massively on track mate if the wipers struggle, really is night and day difference....Hope tomoz goes okay and you get some good pics/vids

Tom

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Hi Tim, what make is that rear upper strut brace? looks very good and will serve a purpose too!!

Those supercopa wheels really do suit the Leon!!!!!;)

Get some rain repellent coated on that windscreen, will help massively on track mate if the wipers struggle, really is night and day difference....Hope tomoz goes okay and you get some good pics/vids

Tom

The upper brace is the hughes engineering one, but hard to come by now
Ive just been over all the glass early with some cleaner and also put some brand new bosch blades on too
Hoping the rain doesn't ruin the view out for the camera too much

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Ah i see, thought they looked like 18's....I'm thinking of ditching my 17's as i think they'll look too small and it'll limit my brake size too much.
Any plans to start the conversion yet ?

This was my thinking, anymore than about 335mm will be too big to go under a 17" wheel.
Not many supercopas around to try and pilfer spares from. Most small teams/independants that run them have quite a limited spares package so don't want to split them too much
You can tell motorsport wheels though as even big brakes have loads of clearance.
Not made much progress on the conversion im afraid, been concentrating more on saving so I can get the engine finished and built

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Well track day been and gone with no breakages this time (always a bonus)
It did absolutely chuck it down though some probably a lot easier on many of the components
First job of the day was to put the wets on and make it look supercopa-esque

Then out for a few careful laps as ive never driven on wets before and jesus, the grip level is insane. It was like driving on a warm dry day. Being as there was only one other guy running wets we decided to spend most of the day overtaking people going sideways or spinning off the track
I have got some videos from in the car but being as the camera was hung from the roof its upside down and media playing doesn't seem to be able to rotate it, so will look into making these correct

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
The clearance on the brakes is massive too, you can get your fingers in between the back of the wheel and the caliper
A much better look with 18's

grahams81

Oct 14, 2010
County Durham
They look awesome, not many wheels really suit mk1's more than oem ones but these just look racecar lol.

If you fancy getting shot of them lemme know ;)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Havent updated this in a while but a few things have happened
So firstly my alarm issue has got worse, as the car starts it will rearm the alarm and sometimes set the horn off. So in the interest of being nice to the neighbours and so I don't look like a tea leaf everywhere I go I have removed the alarm siren.
Im unsure why this is doing it but over Christmas the car is going to be partially re wired, with new power cable, earths, etc and given its 5k service and new filters. Even got it some new gearbox oil
I have also purchased a set of buckets seats, they came on OMP subframes but were fixed position and being as im not very big I knew they wouldn't be in the right position. So I bought a runner set and mounted these to the seats and bolted them to the subframes.
Next up they needed seatbelt brackets as the ones included fouled on the centre console, you could run harness's but after doing some reading online 4 point harness is not recommended for road use due to the possibility of 'submarining' in a crash and if in a rolling incident with no cage could also be bad.
I used one of the long stemmed holders as found on standard LCR seats, I then bolted these into the subframe which should hold me firm in the event of a crash
So got the drivers seat in and bolted up tonight, pics are in the dark when I finished but still shows off the carbon fibre backs

Will start on the passenger one after xmas as I need all the plastics out of the way to run the new power cable, think im going to leave the passenger side fixed as adjustment should be as important for them. Will update when they are both in and hopefully car is working properly again

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Cheers guys, ive read a few horror stories on 4 point harness's as I mentioned above but not having 5 or 6 point harnesses in a daily
Took it out for a spin again and have to say love having only one seat and being a bucket, feels like a racecar (probably the closest i'll ever get it to being a racecar)

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Over Christmas spent a little bit of time redoing my own car for once
I got some new cable and re ran all the main power cable for the battery relocation as I think this could have been my problem
Ended up redoing it slightly differently and adding an in line 150A fuse too, put the kill switch on the earthing side to keep the joins in the main power cable to a minimum hoping to keep too much of a voltage drop
Joy of joy, it worked. All redone apart from the one cable from the battery negative terminal to the kill switch was a little short so is bodged for now but a slightly longer one will be made when I get some more cable so everything can be refiited and I can put the passenger bucket in.
Also serviced the car at the same time and fitted a new pollen filter and new plugs while scuttle panel was off and sealant was curing. Drained the catch can too and its ever appealing liquid
Im afraid no pics as it was cold so was trying to get it done ASAP
Just getting the car ready for the 16th of Feb now as its booked back to Bedford with a few friends and if it survives I maybe taking it to le mans later in the year too
Ive also lent a wheel and hub out in the hope I can get my front brake setup fabricated ready for the trackday

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
No real progress since last time but car is at least running properly now
Hit a numerical mile stone that made me smile last week, airbag light is on due to not having resistored out the seat airbag connection with the buckets in

Also turned up at my friends garage who forced me to wash the car and even polish it too, doesn't scrub up too bad for a 10 year old daily abused car

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Finally got all the plastics back in and mounted the second bucket and fixed down, this is a fixed one for the passengers as I don't think they need adjustment like the drivers one does

Then packed all the bits in for another wet trackday at Bedford on the SEN circuit tomorrow, fingers crossed all goes well. Moved the camera up front too as last time with it mounted on the roof it some times had a white out with the reflection off the wet track

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Been a while since I updated but after the woeful brake performance on track from the forge setup again id had enough. Been speaking to martin hadland and sat down doing sums of piston sizes to work out a new setup. So after lots of machining and measuring its all ready.

So managed to get 6 pots with 356mm fully floating rotors all with only a tiny bit bigger displacement than the OE brembos. So did the obligatory can of coke comparison

Also one of my rear calipers has been sticking on recently so ordered an new pair and decided to couple them to these, courtesy of Adam (again with a can of coke)

With the new fronts

So its basically a total brake replacement, ive got quite a pile of stuff in the corner of my house waiting to be fitted

Will update when its all on and tested but hoping its good. Might have to look into a bias valve as well if the rears are too powerful. As the front are 10% bigger than standard but rears are 20%. But at a 80-20 split standard it may not be too bad.
Ive also been looking into brake pads and may look into running the carbon Lorraine xc6 for when on track

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Brakes were fitted last weekend but not had much chance to update this due to stag do's
Fronts fitted

Rears fitted

Had to leave it over night as no time to bleed but all fitted

Rear clearance on the enlarged back kit but with standard caliper is actually reasonably close now

So all fitted and bled

So nice to have a good pedal nice and high up. Proof that not all big brake kits are equal and really need to do the maths on what youre getting and matching it with
Then the day after I acquired these with a car, 6 OZ superturismos which will be added to the ever growning piles of wheels I have and used with semi slicks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.