Ronin225's Candy rimmed Black LCR - Project 500-4WD, Cage installed and bigger turbo

Mar 1, 2016
Ayr
Oh man, it's such a shame it wouldn't work without cutting out and welding. A would really like to tackle this conversion. Would be so satisfying man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I think if it was just a bolt on straight swap it would be quite a common thing to see them converted
It would be more satisfying to complete it how it is than just to swap suspension etc over

Mar 1, 2016
Ayr
Seriously? Use seem to have serious skill, av read Graham's thread aswell. Am the same not a mechanic but love giving everything a try. When you planning the 4 wheel drive?

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I fix machinery for a job so no stranger to tools but you learn as you go
Not sure when ill start on the 4wd, (should have been a long time ago) but still have lots of work before its useable again

Mar 1, 2016
Ayr
That's cool, a like when folk keep it on the road. Not sure what to do about the 4 wheel drive now.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
It is a big undertaking to change the car structurally and all the required components but hopefully will be ultimately rewarding if ever completed
Long term project for yourself?

Mar 1, 2016
Ayr
That's the thing in the back of my mind like how rewarding it would be. A think ad be able to tackle everything just a wee but unsure of the welding and cutting of the floor plan.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Havent updated in a while and a few changes have happened, firstly I sold the a3 Quattro to my sister so I needed another daily run around. So I picked up this diesel tow ready car that I call the barge, stupidly cheap as well

So after getting it partially roadworthy I took the car to work to do a bit of welding and grinding to get a few things done that needed sorting, working in the dry is always a bonus too

Over a good few weeks ive been grappling with the wiring and had to totally split the loom and check the wiring for the brake lights
Not a good look

Whilst I was at it ive removed quite a few unnecessary things like auxillary power points and all of the airbag wiring, all 2 carrier bags of it
Then had the joyful task of removing the remanants of the sound deadening on the floor pan itself but does look much cleaner

After getting this point I was getting pretty fed up with constantly having it sat immobile outside my mums house and spending the majority of a day every week working on it trying to get it roadworthy and rectify problems/damage that been done whilst fitting the cage. I came extremely close to giving up and just splitting it for parts to try and recoup so of the huge investment made in the car, which felt like a bitter pill to swallow. Upon putting the ad up I had many people offer help or assistance so the car could see the road again
So a month later it had people come to look and check things and was rebuilt to a mostly road legal state to trial it which fell convienently on the sunny bank holiday

Pleased to say it all works and does need much more doing but it was usable so I made the most of the nice weather and went honing. Car is now going in to get the floor pan and cage painting on Monday night. Once back ill mock up and refit the dash board then start fitting the nice new bits and hopefully enjoy it while the better weather is coming

Last edited:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Another update of reasonable size
Car passed it rough road test and I have carried on with the little jobs that need doing.
Car was booked in to have the interior and cage sprayed professionally but after seeing it the guy decided he didn't want to do it so looks like its being diy painted now as I cant be bothered to keep going here and there for quotes.
Whilst thats been happening I finally ordered some more shiny forged bits

So that's all the head bits bar cams and guides to complete the engine build with the stroker bits for the bottom end I already have. However whilst getting these I got a little excited an got this too

Only had a pen and a tape measure to hand to give an idea of size, its a owens development hta3076r given a rating of upto 630hp with the size hotside that's on it
Going to get the gt2871r kit sorted and flogged on to fund the TSR mani and external wastegate im going to need for it
Have a few more things currently in the pipe line but will update again when they arrive

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
As some may have read graham who pioneered the 4wd has decided to end his project and sell some of the bits off, being as there were a few bits I needed we struck a deal. So I now have

Also started to paint the cage in the car, which is not as easy as you think. Only managed to get a couple of coats of primer on

Colour to be added soon but masking up takes a huge amount of time, hopefully in the next month it will be done

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Hi Tim how are you doing? Thought I'd have a look on here and see how you guys where doing. Good to see things have moved on and also glad to see you're sticking with it!

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Hi Paul, still going strong although I do have my moments when I want to throw the towel in sometimes.
Ive seen the updates of the new cars through facebook, ill have to try and do another day at blyton so you can bring the porka out and school my little hatchback, be good to catch up

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise