Roof/headlining rattle Cupra R ST

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
D6DDF2C0-CD34-4C20-8F09-B1EBA5955464.jpeg
Hello guys/gals,

I’m in the process of trying to track down and eliminate some of the (many) rattles and creaks in my 2 month old 1.5k mile R ST.

I’ve not been back to dealers yet but it is an option I guess.

My main antagonist in the rattling is the small roof/headling area between the pano roof and the rear windscreen.
It’s pretty much constant no matter what the road surface.
It’s not the sun blind as it happens if that’s in or out.
I’ve managed to localise it to the area in Red in attached picture. If I press this area firmly it disappears.
Is there any quick and easy fix for this that you guys can recommend before I start the process of going back to the dealer ?

For the record I also have intermittent rattling depending on road surface;
1) in the centre console in below the head unit area.
2) in the area of the small pull out storage area to right of steering wheel (near obd2 socket)
3) drivers door card.

I also have very bad vibration from the rear passenger side door card with the stereo turned up loudish, but i’ll tackle that with acoustic foam at some point.

Apart from that... the car is awesome :)

Last edited:

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
I find mine to be pretty quiet although it's not as solid as the Octavia mk3 was.. I will be adding some deadening and sound proofing as a matter of course anyway as I'm fitting an after-market sound system.

I've noticed the side panels on the centre consul would benefit from some treatment too, very flimsy.

Philip Santi

Sep 28, 2019
View attachment 9514

For the record I also have intermittent rattling depending on road surface;
1) in the centre console in below the head unit area.
2) in the area of the small pull out storage area to right of steering wheel (near obd2 socket)
3) drivers door card.

........ :)

Can't help with the others, but I have a rattle in my drivers door card - if I apply a little pressure to the handle/rest, it stops

Lovely car - I joined the 'R ST club' a couple of weeks ago :thumbup:

Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
The main rattle in the headlining was fixed under warranty by Seat.
It turned out to be a loose clip.

The driving experience is so much more solid now without that major rattle.

I applied some felt strips to the edge of the pull out storage draw below steering wheel that seem to have helped that one as well.

Still get the occasional squeak from centre console and around virtual cockpit but very much road surface dependant and not that bad.

Project for the new year will be to pack foam into the door cards to stop those vibrating with music !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip Santi

shlobber

Mar 23, 2018
one rattle/vibration i found on my 2019 cupra was the rear interior light behind the pan roof.just pulled it out and lined it with some felt tape.

Reactions: Slickric21