Rough cold start - tried everything!!!!

weelieboots

Been doing that - trying to keep her under 3000rpm at all times and taking her out of gear when sat a lights. Just noticed coolant has gone down a bit again too. Was at the max on sun and now at min. My main issue is that im worried theres something bad wrong with her. She took 2 turns to start today. 1st turn she just stalled. 2 days to go so hope she holds it!!

weelieboots

Ok so an update ow cos im at a loss.

She had a full service, coolant temp sensor replaced, new sparks, oil change, air filter change, all the usual really, battery and alternator signal was checked also and its fine.

She was great yesterday when she was left in the sun but today had more snow and tried to do a cold start on her and again was having none of it.

It took me 4 turns to get her started. Ive tried turning her to on for about 20secs before starting and have to keep my foot on the accelerator to stop her from stalling. Sometimes it doesnt even get as far as accelerating as shes cut out before then.

The garage seems to think its might be the MAF sensor but Ive checked the symptoms and not showing any of them. Really confused at this point so any suggestions will be appreciated - could it be a throttle body alignment as the battery had clearly been disconnected when i got her?

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
Might be worth getting the timing chain checked. Had similar symptoms then it slipped one to far and wouldn't start just grind. You will have to be careful if it is this, if its your bad day it can cause some bad damage to the engine. Keep us posted seems like a never ending battle this one

weelieboots

been told that timing chain is fine esp when its only the cold start ups. I think if it was that i would be having more problems all the time it just the initial start up. Ill get it checked anyway

Been advised to go to a seat or vw dealership to get diagnostics read as they can bring up faults/issues in more detail than your regular garages as their systems are more advanced. Is this true and how much would it cost?

weelieboots

another update - she started fine this morning even tho she was a ball of ice which i found weird but then when i left her in manchester for 3 hrs i had to turn her twice to get her started and had to touch the accelerator to keep her going.

shes not as bad as she was but still annoying

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members