Rough Idle...

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
This afternoon when I went to start my 1.6 Tdi I turned the key and it took ticks of the starter motor before firing up if you not what I mean. Something you'd expect off a much older car. Any ideas to what this could be?

And also a few times now I've noticed that every now and then the engine idles quite roughly, like when I'm at a standstill it's quite lumpy as in you can feel it juddering almost like a bounce.

Any ideas on what could be causing these 2 problems on such a new car?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Maybe bad fuel, cold temp, low battery level...May things could bethe cause.

Could changing the fuel filter help? I've done 6000 miles, so it should be worn in but my fuel economy is crap! I've spoken to other owners of the same car and they're getting a lot closer figures to the book than me.

matt5964

May 31, 2004
peterborough,cambridgeshire
Could changing the fuel filter help? I've done 6000 miles, so it should be worn in but my fuel economy is crap! I've spoken to other owners of the same car and they're getting a lot closer figures to the book than me.

Unless you have had some really dodgy fuel..then the filter is not the answer.

Glow plugs a good shout... Driving style another one when com pairing you mileage to others, I have a mk6 golf blue motion technology that should return 70 ish but in lucky to get 50 but the boot is allways full so the extra weight kills the mpg, also need to get to places...:whistle:

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Unless you have had some really dodgy fuel..then the filter is not the answer.

Glow plugs a good shout... Driving style another one when com pairing you mileage to others, I have a mk6 golf blue motion technology that should return 70 ish but in lucky to get 50 but the boot is allways full so the extra weight kills the mpg, also need to get to places...:whistle:

I always fill up with bp fuel. I've tried different driving styles. I'm lucky to get 50 ish on my own with no luggage on the motorway. My combined figure should be 74mpg. I want to be getting at least mid-high 60's. I don't rag the car and I've tried driving it all sorts of ways and I've tried different branded diesel.

matt5964

May 31, 2004
peterborough,cambridgeshire
I always fill up with bp fuel. I've tried different driving styles. I'm lucky to get 50 ish on my own with no luggage on the motorway. My combined figure should be 74mpg. I want to be getting at least mid-high 60's. I don't rag the car and I've tried driving it all sorts of ways and I've tried different branded diesel.

well with it being so new then a trip to the Stealers is on the cards then...

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
This afternoon when I went to start my 1.6 Tdi I turned the key and it took ticks of the starter motor before firing up if you not what I mean. Something you'd expect off a much older car. Any ideas to what this could be?

And also a few times now I've noticed that every now and then the engine idles quite roughly, like when I'm at a standstill it's quite lumpy as in you can feel it juddering almost like a bounce.

Any ideas on what could be causing these 2 problems on such a new car?!

Your opening post is a bit vague but if cold starting first thing in the morning this time of year you will need to allow the glow plugs to do their warming before you turn the key otherwise the starter motor has to turn longer before the engine fires up.

If at odd times you feel the tickover hunt up and down it could be the air con compressor cutting in/out or the radiator cooling fan cutting in/out. (in fact it could be any device on the car that saps energy from the engine switching on/off).

Do you actually really think you have 2 faults with your car or are your expectations of your new car a little too high?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Your opening post is a bit vague but if cold starting first thing in the morning this time of year you will need to allow the glow plugs to do their warming before you turn the key otherwise the starter motor has to turn longer before the engine fires up.

If at odd times you feel the tickover hunt up and down it could be the air con compressor cutting in/out or the radiator cooling fan cutting in/out. (in fact it could be any device on the car that saps energy from the engine switching on/off).

Do you actually really think you have 2 faults with your car or are your expectations of your new car a little too high?

Well this is the first new car I've owned so comparing it to my old cars that didn't do this I'm quite surprised.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Ahh, it's going into Seat in Feb for round 2 on fixing rattling door cards. Is my expectations too high about having rattling cards as well? Because if I compare it to my old cars (some being between 15 and 20 years old) never had rattles.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
So, you know about glow plugs and how/when they work? not being funny with you, it's an honest question.

Yes in fact I just googled it to make sure lol. I knew that on older diesels you had to wait for the light to go out before starting but I noticed on my car that I can turn it straight away but wait a few seconds before it actually turns itself over. But this afternoon it was more like it was actually trying to turn over but weren't starting.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
So I have to wait till 20k before I start seeing figures in the range of 70 mpg when there's other mk3 owners who have done less miles than me and are hitting the figures now.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.