Rough idle

Terryrose

Apr 6, 2018
Swindon
Hello all,
I’m wondering if you seat gurus can help. Not owned my mk1 cupra (180) for long and have developed some issues that have stumped me slightly.
It started off as a fault code p0101 (running lean on bank 1) I replaced the maf sensor which helped slightly, then I noticed one of the breather pipes was in poor condition so I had replaced that which seemed to settle the issue for a couple of days. I’ve also changed the oil and filter as a precaution and exhaust gaskets. I can’t find any vac leaks although I should really get it smoke tested.
The car idles so poorly whether hot or cold. The revs bounce between 500 rpm and 1000rpm. Sometimes it goes so low that it nearly cuts out and has done on one occasion. It does kick out some black smoke on occasion also. It does have a very aggressive map on it that wasn’t done in my ownership. No engine mods either apart from a forge recirc valve. I assume it’s had a lambada delete as there’s no catalyst fitted at all, it also has a 3 inch down pipe and cupra r exhaust also not done by me!
Has anyone got any idea what this could be before I keep chucking money at it because I love the car! I don’t want to keep driving it in case I cause any more issues! I’m slightly concerned I’ve made a bit of a mistake buying it should I cut my losses or not?!
Thanks in advance any advice is genuinely appreciated

Ryan_98

Leon Mk1 enthusiast
May 24, 2016
might be worth taking the inlet pip of and looking at your throttle body to see if it is opening and closing causing the rough idle. you sure its is not just misfiring on a cylinder? how old are your spark plugs and coil packs?

Reactions: Andrewwright

Terryrose

Apr 6, 2018
Swindon
might be worth taking the inlet pip of and looking at your throttle body to see if it is opening and closing causing the rough idle. you sure its is not just misfiring on a cylinder? how old are your spark plugs and coil packs?

Thanks for the reply mate but I’ve sorted it now, I had an accumulation of issues that needed to be sorted and it’s running a dream now, I changed plugs, coils, exhaust gaskets, maf sensor, rocker cover, fuel filter, injectors cleaned out, egr valve, deleted pcv and sai and there’s probably a few more things but it’s running a dream now!
Thanks for taking the time to help me out though it’s much appreciated

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.