Rough Running No Power ????

nicktw

My Toledo SE 20v 2002 recently lost all power above 3000 revs and became throaty. A trip to my usual garage couldn't diagnose exactly what was wrong so packed me off to a dealer equipped with Vag-com.

On the machine, "its your cat", changed no difference, "its the maf then", changed no difference,"must be the egr then" changed no difference. End of the day so returned the following day - more changing of everything no difference at all. Don't know said the dealer, let me think. Come back next week.

Very worrying so I went through my dvd service manual bought off ebay for £3 - sure enough all fault links go back to low power input which traces back to Fuse 43. I checked the fuse it was ok, I then decided to remove the fuse carrier and check the security of the connecting wires - low and behold one was loose, a quick push back in with a jewellers screwdriver, start the car and whoosh all the power back - test drove no problems.

Now why can't vag-com detect no power input or fuse error? I suppose the moral is always start with the basics - hope this helps other owners.

PS if anybody is looking for a little used, second hand, cat, egr valve or maf, I know a garage that will have 1 of each on Monday!!!!

Crayfordp

Nick

Can you tell me where you got your DVD service manual - Does it cover the V5?

nicktw

Yes it covers all models up to year 2006.

Bought it off Ebay. Item number: 330162962286 from gcp-1 (seller)

Hopefully this helps, if not let me know and I can probably burn you a copy.

Regards

Nick

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Surprised vagcom didnt spot an error on a fuse especially as it wasnt actually connecting properly....
i know it wont pick up a faulty maf because although it isnt working properly, it is actually working......
someone should re write the software on the cars me thinks............. vag com just takes the errors from the car computer.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.