Runaway cupra TDI.. Fixable?

C50

Feb 14, 2015
Hi guys, I am still new to the tdi world.

I was driving my new low miles-ish Ibiza Cupra Tdi when I heard a pop. I assumed it was just a boost pipe, put my hazards on and tried to limp it as I was in a busy road.

Next thing.. It was stuck on max throttle! I took the key out and jumped out the car. It continued to run for a minute or so with clouds of black smoke whilst everyone watched shouting turn off the engine. I had to put it in gear ans stall it to shut it off...

I had the recovered to my mom's and lood underneath. The turbo had split into two!

Anyway, the exhaust tip is a pool of oil and wondered whether a new turbo would fix it the car or is my engine toast?

Any advice would be appreciated

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
How long was it running away for?

When the engine runs away it burns it's own oil, if you didn't stop it in time it'll drain the sump and seize the engine.
How much oil is left? No point putting a new turbo on it if you've already caused excessive damage to the engine internals.

C50

Feb 14, 2015
Thanks for the advice, that's why I thought I'd ask on here for advice first. And I would have to tackle the daunting job myself on my parents driveway.

In my panicked state, It felt too long about 2 to 3 minutes, but in reality it could have been just a little less. I just remember running around, getting my mom out the car and peeps shouting at me..

Over an hour later, the recovery guy arrived and tried turning the engine. It didn't start but it cranked over and sounded like a loose intercooler pipe at the time..

It seems a compression test would be a way to check the engine after staying up late worrying. Just have to find instructions and look for a kit.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Nah, compression test will just look at the state of the rings, you want to be more interested in damage to the crank, rods and bearings. Drop the oil and see whats in there.
You'll probably want to pop the sump off and clean it out - every chance the dead turbo will have **** bits down the oil drain into the sump.

While the sump is off inspect the crank and bearings for damage, if it's not too bad then sling it all back together - don't forget fresh oil and oil filter!

C50

Feb 14, 2015
Thanks.

I literally just arrived at my parents and checked the oil level. It seems to have run empty.

Yikes, I've never taken a sump off before. But that makes sense I hope it's a case of the turbo casing failure before any bits got sucked in. It's mad that bits could pass all the way through an intercooler.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Yea if stuff has passed into or through the intercooler it probably needs replacing, some companies might be able to refurb it.

Figuring out if the bottom end is thrashed is the priority tho.

C50

Feb 14, 2015
I believe the loose metal intake pipe must have fatigued the turbo housing. I suspect there may already have been a crack the few months I owned the car as there was a high pitched whistle and smoke on start up which I assumed was a loose boost pipe.

It took me ages to wiggle the small broken compressor housing out all evening. There were no bits in the boost pipes leading into the intercooler but there were bits sent back up into that metal intake pipe that leads back to the air filter.

I am scratching my head on how to get the turbo out because it's vert awkward and tight. There must be guides on here?