Running rough - coilpack?

ThackersLCR

Jul 5, 2008
Blackpool
Thats what i thought, i dont get how it can rise up. (my coil pack i mean) So thats when i moved it to 2 and took both spark plugs out of 1 n 2, took some pics n put them back in. Im not heavy handed but theyre tight in. I have ordered a coil pack and il have a butchers at the plugs again :shrug:

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
I am having problems with mine now aswell. Plus am a bit of a thicko when it comes to engines. So the "coilpack" plugs on top of the spark plugs?
Also do u need to change the spark plugs at the same time?

Jul 4, 2006
Maidstone,Kent
Sweet. So to find the one has gone wrong do I start the car and disconect each one to see if any change happens and th one that doesn't change the idle s the bust one

ThackersLCR

Jul 5, 2008
Blackpool
The rising coil pack has now been replaced with a brand spanker. Battery disconnected while i watched yesterdays grand prix - what a track must i add! But overfueling and flat spot have gone! Quite chuffed and releaved it wasnt somethin more complex. Cheers guys.

super_electric

Ps3 Tag: nixonoioi
Aug 20, 2007
North Yorkshire
hope you dont mind me jumping in on this but :wtf:,.. First off the jubilee clip that goes around the TIP.. Had come lose from the turbo end.. And the car was juddering really bad had 2 accelerate real slow…. After getting the turbo inlet pipe (TIP) back on and sorted the car is still juddering in all gears the harder you pull away the worst it gets!!……. From what I have been reading could this be a coil pack issue?:shrug:

diirty_dave

ive been told ive to get 4 coil packs?? ive been looking online, can someone give me a direct link to wat i need! got the same symtoms as every1 else, ecu light flashing and not idling properly and very low power.

Mark_R

Hey Guys,

I've decided to replace all of my ignition coils as I'm getting the symptoms described in this thread.

One was replaced about a month ago before I bought it but now I think one of the other 3 old ones have gone to so I'm biting the bullet and replacing all 4.

When I bought them, my uncle (mechanic) advised that his supplier has suggested replacing the connector block wire thing as these are also known to be faulty so I've bought them too.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has replaced this part whilst doing the coils?

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
i've had 2 go now

when the first one went it was juddering on tick over
when the second one went, it was juddering when you gave it some beans.....i'm sure it would have got worse.

my question is, has anyone had more than 2 go down?
if so, was there a big gap between the first 2 and following 2

the reason i ask, is the guy in GSF said they usually go in pairs, so now 2 have gone, it maybe a while before the other 2 fail

I'm just trying to establish if there is a trend.
if so, i'll hold off buying a spare with christmas around the corner!

so please respond if you're on your 3rd/4th coil pack, and your comments on the time between replacing the 2nd and 3rd

DJ-LIAMC

VAGisclean
May 31, 2009
Loughborough
Mine just went this mornin i think! on the way to work no power engine light flashing rough idle and drive almost felt like it was going to stall if i didnt keep the revs up, Im guessing this is a coil pack, will be replacing all 4, does a fault code show on Vagcom when one has gone??

Phillc

Love is....Yellow
Apr 23, 2007
Pershore, worcestershire
will be replacing all 4, does a fault code show on Vagcom when one has gone??

I didn't get any codes or lights for that matter,

my question is, has anyone had more than 2 go down?
if so, was there a big gap between the first 2 and following 2

It is quite normal for more than one to go at atime , thats why its agood idea to change all four, which i think most people do, so having more than two go will be an unknown as they will have been changed

Last edited:

mishy

Just got my car remapped and i was warned by the tuner and also read threads about coil packs before...

after a good hour getting used to the new power band i did start to smell a hefty egg smell and backed off thinking coilpacks. but after 3hrs more driving i havent smelt it again or experienced any lack of power or warning lights.

Is this a sign they may pop soon? worth doing anyway on a 70k car?
My mpg has fallen quiet a bit but I'm not sure if this is a hint at the coilpack or merely remap...

Last edited by a moderator:

CUPRAMUNKY

Just for the guy's who are going to be buying coil packs the OEM ones are ok however try and find your local TPS centre i have priced some up for mine and they were £22.75 + vat for genuine ones so cheaper than OEM and they come with a 2 year warranty to.

Wolvotim

Oct 3, 2009
Shifnal, Shropshire
im getting a bit of stuttering when putting small amounts of throttle on when cold. its fine when warm. from what ive read this doesnt sound quite like coil packs.

what you guys think?

Last edited:

kineticz

Forever moddin'
Jul 23, 2008
Shropshire
www.wepaintanypart.co.uk
In the past couple of days my fuel economy has dropped and under full throttle it sometimes doesn't reach the boost it should at all, like sometimes it will go as it should to 20psi and other times it will only reach 14psi :S

I am going to unplug each coilpack tomorrow but does it sound like a coilpack is on it's way out? Haven't noticed an eggy smell but they haven't been changed for a long time.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.