S3 intercooler- first impressions

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I can't see how an intercooler would increase fuel consumption... unless you're using your lead foot a little more than usual with it running cooler ;)

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Both are unlikely, a slight increase in volume won't make that difference especially with temperatures dropping at the moment (and the stock ic is more than capable for current conditions).
I had the S3 intercooler combined with the twintercooler and could only spot a fast improvement on very hot days (and not until the car got a map suited for all the mods I had installed).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2012
Riga, Latvia
Its not clear, cause weather is aprox constant for a few weeks and the only modiffication I made is this S3 intercooler.

P.S. I have Forge Twintake and DV and stock exhaust. No remaps made yet

JMP

May 27, 2004
I noticed exactly the same thing when I changed s3 cooler to my GTI. I tend to monitor my consumption always during start of my drive as I drive the same road with same style. As soon as I changed the cooler I hit all time lows for the consumption. Great mod

avendit

Jul 27, 2011
Is it £££? And would it still work on an FR? Stage 1 remap, so a bit of danger of heat soak, but usually I'm going fast enough to get plenty of air over the stock cooler.

Avendit

Aug 1, 2012
Riga, Latvia
I bought it used for 200 euro and replaced original Cupra intercooler.
They are almost the same size, the difference is S3 has full alloy construction, whereas original has plastic sides.