Safe way to make exhaust smoke to detect leak

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
the great way the yanks detect an exhaust leak is to put some sea foam which is an engine cleaner that is taken through a manifold vacuum line which creats a fairly large ammount of smoke out the exhaust.

this will also pour out of any leak in the exhaust system.

is there any other product we can get here in the UK which does the same?

i cant find the sea foam stuff in the UK.

any ideas to safly make some white smoke in the exhaust?

thanks!

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
According to its datasheet, Seafoam is 40-60% pale oil and about 25-35% naphtha (Petrolium ether or benzine) and 10-20% IPA (whatever that is?)

3in1 is pale oil I'm sure and you get naphtha in stuff like lighter fuel.

TBH, sounds like a recipe for destruction :-/

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
According to its datasheet, Seafoam is 40-60% pale oil and about 25-35% naphtha (Petrolium ether or benzine) and 10-20% IPA (whatever that is?)

3in1 is pale oil I'm sure and you get naphtha in stuff like lighter fuel.

TBH, sounds like a recipe for destruction :-/

there are 100s of great reviews for sea foam on the net and cant find one bad, only ones that are bad are poeple who do things wrong.

it all sounds un healthy trying to make smoke out the back end but can be a simple way to spot a leak.

there isnt much room for me to feel about on my setup.

the great way....... the yanks

not entirely sure if those 2 parts of a sentance should be used together! lol!

please dont be putting any old crap into your air intake btw, the easiest way to find an exaust leak is to start and idle the car, get a mate to hold an old rag (or his boot) over the tailpipe to build up a bit of back pressure, then just listen up and down the exhaust for the blowing sound on any leaks! much much easier to do.:p

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
yah did that max torque, found a few but to test the actuall hot mani i need to get under the car. i am going to make a pressure tester for the xhaust and then i can test when the system is cold.

f1btn

You should be able to see mixture on the exhaust if its leaking,have never needed to check an exhaust for leaks with a smoke pill, a mate used to use them to test central heating systems (and we did wind some people in traffic jams years ago :blink:) Anyway just get it on a ramp and check for sooty deposits if your concerned!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.